Chapter 8

"What do you mean 'they've come'? Who is they?" Kol asked Artemis concerned.

She stood there, silent, not saying a single word. She finally looked up at him and shook her head, "It's nothing." She told him quickly before grabbing him by the arm, "You need to go. Now."

Kol frowned, walking backwards as Artemis led him toward the door. When they arrived, Artemis lightly pushed so that he was now standing in the doorway, "Do you not trust me?" He asked her and Artemis couldn't help but chuckle.

"Why would I trust you?" She questioned him and Kol gave her an offended look.

"I saved your life!" He complained and Artemis rolled her eyes.

"I can protect myself," She argued sternly.

Artemis was about to close the door in Kol's face but Kol stopped her, "Tell me what's wrong. Now." He demanded sternly.

"That tone of voice may work with everyone else, Kol, but not me," Artemis told him as she rolled her eyes at him.

"Just tell me so I can help you!" He insisted.

"Why do you want to help me so bad, huh? Our love for each other ended over five centuries ago. Nothing more is going to happen after that kiss a few days. That kiss is the reason I was able to be caught by Klaus in the first place. I can't fall for the enemy because that makes me weak and I am not weak." She explained to him angrily, "And today, when you encountered me in the woods, to caused me to be off guard. Now, that pack knows that I have a weakness."

"What pack?" Kol asked concerned and Artemis groaned rolling her eyes.

"The Blythes," She informed him hesitantly, "They've acquired the weapon that can kill Alec and I. Gold Arrow dipped in the plant called Deadly Nightshade. They know now that I am the weaker of the two and they've come for my head, knowing if they kill one of us, we both die. It's how the parabatai works."

Kol's eyes widened in shock when he heard the girl's words, "Parabatai?" He questioned and Artemis scoffed.

"I just told you that I am on the verge of being killed by a pack of vengeful wolves and you're worried about what a parabatai is?" She scoffed, "If you'd really like to know, it's a word that Alec and I made up to explain our bond. A parabatai is a pair of warriors who fight together as lifelong partners, our souls bound together by blood oath and twin bond. If one of us were to die, the other one would, too." She explained to him, "Now you need to go. And don't even think about coming back."

Artemis closed to door in Kol's face before he could protest. She slid down on the wall before taking a seat on the floor with her back against.

Flashback:

France, 1743;

"You cannot hide from us!" Artemis yelled out, dragging the tip her sword along the dirt road as she and Alec searched the woods for the pack of wolves they were after, "Come out, come out, wherever you are. If you do so now, I'll gladly give you mercy. If not, be ready to have a slow and painful end."

Droplets of blood covered Artemis's face while her whole dress was drenched.

She glanced over at Alec, who had his bow and arrow ready to shoot the target if they made their appearance.

"I'll give you five seconds to show yourselves! Cinq... quatre... Trois... deux...un..." Artemis counted down just before a male walked out of the shadows alongside his wife and two teenage children.

He dropped to his knees and folded his hands together, "S'il vous plaît, merci pour moi, ma femme et mes deux enfants. (Please, mercy for me, my wife and my two children.)" he pleaded for their lives and Artemis glanced over at her brother, who shook his head.

Artemis clicked her tongue as she shook her head in response, "You and your pack killed thirty innocents in the past months. You should understand that my brother and I can't just let that slide. One, two, maybe even three innocents we could have let slide, but thirty? That is far too many." Artemis explained to just before she lifted up her sword and sliced the man across the throat, instantly killing him.

His wife and his two children screamed out as they watched him be killed. The wife came next before Artemis turned to the two teenage children, "Hmm, now what shall I do with you two?"

"Remember the rules, Liya. No children." Alec reminded his sister as he walked over to her and stood beside her.

Artemis sighed, staring down at the children who feared for theirs lives. They were clearly distraught after watching both their mother and father be killed, "I am going to let you lot go. But you even think about following in your parents footsteps I will end you."

"You killed our parents!" The older one screamed out, "I will have you pay for this. Even if it is the last thing I do."

The girl had dark blonde hair and blue -green eyes. She was deeply angered, unlike her brother, who just seemed sad.

Artemis chuckled at her the girl's comment, not quite being afraid of the girl's threat, seeing as she didn't seem much older than fourteen years of age, "You do that," Alec answered sarcastically.

Alec and Artemis stared at the two children who just stood there, motionless, "We should get going." Alec whispered to his twin sister, who nodded her head in response.

"Definitely," Artemis agreed with Alec, just before they both turned their bodies around and headed in the direction of their horses, who were tied to tree just a couple miles north of where they stood at that moment.

The two Petrova siblings should have took the threat seriously at that moment, but why would they have. The two children were not even fifteen years old yet. But little did they know, they held much great power at their ages because of who their parents were.