Hope

Rhysand

Feyre was afraid for me, but I could feel hope coming through the bond. Everyone kept trying to show me love, try to help me get past my revenge, but I couldn't do anything with that bastard still alive, not without my wings returned to me, my mother's and sister's too.

I was to stay the night in the Court of Nightmares, my family having the option to stay or return to Velaris. In the end only Mor and Feyre stayed, the Illyrians to return the next day to go over plans for killing Tamlin.

Keir led us to our chambers, which were made from black stone found only in the night court. They were very grand and spacious, the bed big enough to sleep five comfortably. My mind drifted back to Feyre and I trashing the kitchen in the town house, and I wanted to see how we fared in the bed. Now.

Feyre darling, would you like to test out this bed?

Why wouldn't I, Rhysand?

We smiled at each other and Mor, scenting the desire in the room, made a swift exit, taking Keir's chains with her.
"The chains aren't permanent," I explained to Feyre "They are in his mind, so he can't betray us to anyone else. He won't be able to speak about anything we say unless we allow him to. The chains that you see are there purely to remind him that he is under my rule."
I felt a flicker of pride down the bond, but it was washed away by regret. Guilt.
"Why did you kill Rita?" Her voice was soft but she was clearly upset with me.
"I needed to show Keir that I am still harsh, and that having a mate doesn't change anything about my status." I paused, knowing that this hadn't comforted her in any way. "I'm sorry. I understand that I am not the same Illyrian you fell in love with, but I will do better, for you, Feyre darling."
At that we climbed into the bed, the whole night ahead of us, free of any distractions.

After many hours in the bed, against the wall and on the table, Feyre and I lay on the floor, our bodies side by side with nothing separating us. Feyre began to trace the lines of my tattoos, her touch light and soft on my skin.

Beautiful Illyrian

Wonderful High Lady

Feyre raised her left hand up for me to see, the black ink of our bargain covering her skin.
We don't need this anymore.

No, we don't.

I want to keep it though, but I want it to show our love.
I held her hand, and as warmth spread to her from me, she closed her eyes. I left most of the tattoo, but I removed the part that bound us, the part that converted our love.

I didn't stop there though, I continued the spread of swirls so that it travelled up her arm, across her shoulders, and finally connected to the tattoo on her other arm.
Feyre opened her eyes as I finished, surveying her new tattoos, twin to my own.
Beautiful.

She placed her hand on my chest, pulling my face towards hers. Not to kiss me, but to whisper into my ear.

"I know how to get your wings back."

Hope. The moment she said those words I began to feel hope again. Hope for my future, and it warmed my heart. I realised then that even though I still wanted revenge on that bastard, I was myself again. Rage had turned my heart to ice, but hope had melted it.

"How?" I asked once I found my voice again.
"The woman who built Lucien's eye has been talking with Amren these past few weeks. She thinks she can create you some metal wings to wear into battle. You could fly again, and fight with the Illyrian legions." I was so happy I couldn't begin to explain my thoughts to Feyre, but she could feel my emotions through our bond, and she understood what I wanted to tell her. And what I wanted to do to her.