Together

Rhysand

"Wake up!" Yelled a too happy voice as the bedroom door flew open, jolting Feyre and I awake. "I gave you two lovebirds a warning. It's not my fault you didn't pay attention." Cassian. Great.
I looked to my mate, her hair tangled after the events of last night, and then to the window. It was still dark out, but that didn't mean anything to Cassian, who'd decided to train us at the most inconvenient time possible.
The Illyrian marched into the room and pulled the covers off me and my mate, revealing more than I was comfortable with, before being blasted by both mine and Feyre's power, forcing him from the room and out the window, a few jeers coming from our family downstairs.
"Do we really have to train now?" Feyre asked me, but I knew that Cassian was correct, so I got up and dressed in my leathers, Feyre following suit, and we walked downstairs to find Cassian awaiting us in the hall, his face twisted in rage, but one look from Feyre had him turning away and keeping his mouth shut.
"Glad to see that you know your place." Amren said to Cassian, also unhappy about the morning's arrangements.
"Well at least you are all here. We need to keep in shape for the war." Cassian said, but I could see that he was just trying to keep us all together, the same way that Mor had, and was doing everything possible to do so.
Although none of us had said it, we all knew that not everyone would survive the war.

Xxx

We spent the whole day training, Cassian pushing everyone to their limits, and Azriel helping Feyre train for some time over lunch. His idea of helping, though, was pushing her off a rock and telling her to glide to the ground. She'd failed miserably the first few dozen times, but had finally gotten the hang of it after an hour or two, and took great pleasure in jumping from higher objects so that she could savour the feeling of flying.
We returned to Velaris as the sun set, each of us going to our own accommodations, but Feyre and I didn't have enough energy left to do anything other than go to bed early. I hugged her close when we went into our room, wrapping my wings around her as we climbed into bed.
"Rhys." She whispered. "What is going on between you, Cass, and Azriel?" I hadn't realised it had been that obvious to h everyone.
"As much as we may try to deny it, Illyrians are very sensitive about comments on their wingspans, and when you revealed the size of yours, we all felt the need to prove ourselves, to make ourselves dominant in any way possible, letting our primal instincts kick in." I felt her laugh.
"So all of this growling and showing off your wings and Cassian and Azriel displaying their siphons at dinner was just a way to get over your inferior wingspans?" She laughed once more, and I joined in.
"I suppose it sounds stupid to you."
"Yes, it does."
And that was that. We slept that way the whole night, Feyre wrapped up in my arms, and awoke the next day, ready for another day of being a family.
Before it was too late.

Xxx

The days passed without incident, no more attacks took place, no threats issued to Prythian, nothing. It was as if Hybern was waiting for us to make our move. Finally the day for the High Lords' meeting arrived, and we all dressed to impress, each wearing formal clothing. Feyre wore a black dress that dropped down to the floor, lace covering her shoulders and diamonds scattered over the skirt. She was the stars, shining brightly in the lights.
I wore a black tunic with grey embroidery a and trousers, my metal wings at my back giving the impression that I was something of a nightmare, but that was not the male that I showed. I showed the male that had fought for his people, sacrificing everything to keep them safe, and who had tried to ensure that all were equal in his court. I was the male that had placed a crown of stars on his mate's head and declared her High Lady, that had put females into positions of power, who had looked to all species of fae and given all of them a chance.
I looked to my mate as we stepped onto the roof, a silver crown upon her head that matched mine, and then to my family around us. Mor, in the red dress she had worn to the Court of Nightmares, Cassian and Azriel wearing their leathers and siphons, and Amren in a lose shirt and trousers.
Those people knew who I was, and they loved me still. It was time for the world to know.
You are not a monster.
I was not a monster.
You are my mate.
I was her mate.
I see every part of you and I love you.
She knew the real me, and she still loved me. I could make it through the meeting, I could get the allies we needed, and I could show the world the real me.