The Last Carving

Rhysand

I had spent three days moving our forces, including the Darkbringers, to the Spring Court border, and allying myself with the monsters that lurked in Prythian. Mor had helped me organise the rest of the High Lords, and help cover our tracks in the Autumn Court. Amren had been avoiding me since I'd been to the Bone Carver, but I knew that she had finished decoding the Book of Breathings, and that she was learning a new spell to nullify the cauldron's power, one that she and Feyre could share the burden of, and therefore survive. Cassian had been with the Illyrians, moving them south and ensuring that they behaved. Azriel had been trying to get back into the Hybern camps, but hadn't been able to cross the wards, so he had watched Hybern's allies, kept an eye on their numbers, and kept all the High Lords up to date on where they had been moving, and how many numbers they had.
I had told Feyre all of that, but I had missed out the part where I'd taken an Illyrian legion to ambush Vallahan's troops as they sailed towards Prythian, buying us a few more days as Hybern tried to convince their other allies to make the trip across the ocean, but they hadn't taken much convincing, and were sailing back towards Prythian, although Azriel's reports told us that they were going to join Hybern's troops and attack with them, aiming for one huge assault. No matter how many armies we had, no matter how many allies we obtained, it wouldn't be enough to take them out.

Xxx

We sat at the dining room, silent, save for the sound of cutlery on the plates. It was our last night together before we went to join the armies and High Lords, but no one knew what to say.
"Guys, if this is our last night together-" I started, but Mor cut me off.
"No. No one is dying, and no one is sacrificing themselves to save the rest of us. We will live through this, and we will share the burden of any sacrifice." She gave me a pointed look, and I looked at my plate, the same time that Amren stared into her goblet of blood.
You will not sacrifice yourself. You have given enough. Let us take the burden.
I have not given enough, Feyre darling, and you know I can't let you suffer in my place.
You can and you will. Promise me that you won't die. Promise me.
I looked to her, and saw the fire burning in her eyes.
"I promise." I said out loud, and even though they hadn't heard it, my family nodded, as if they knew exactly what I meant.
A burning pain radiated down my left arm, leaving dark ink on my skin, twin to one a tattoo on her arm, and my mate looked to her own bargain tattoo, so similar to the one I'd given her months ago, but stopping at the wrist instead of covering our hands.
I saw tears gleaming in her eyes, a silent promise that she would bear the burdens of sacrifice, and as I looked to my friends' faces, the same look was reflected in each of their faces.
I would not die in the war, I would not sacrifice myself for them, because they would do it for me. It was in that moment that I knew that we were not all going to survive.

Xxx

I was wet. My family and I were camped out with the Illyrians in the Summer Court forest, staying in a grander tent than the soldiers, but a wet tent all the same, with rain lashing down on us, and slippery mud splashing our boots as we walked through the camp, Tarquin releasing some of his control over the environment to conserve his power for the upcoming conflict.
"We have to attack now, whilst they are unguarded." I heard Helion say as we walked into the command tent, five High Lords and their partners seated around the round table, a map of the country and surrounding lands spread out. They were all dressed in clothes fit for battle, Thesan and his mate already wearing Dawn's armour, and Eris in Autumn's.
Having Eris with us was more pleasant than being with Beron, but none of the other High Lords believed his story about Hybern killing his father and mother, but they didn't look to us, therefore I didn't dare ask, or else risk discovery.
"If we attack now we will risk losing our position. We have higher ground than Hybern here, and we need to keep it that way." Thesan's mate said as I sat down, Feyre taking the seat between Helion and I, and Cassian and Azriel standing behind us, analysing the map carefully.
"They don't know our numbers, we could catch them by surprise and avoid any further bloodshed." Tarquin said, seated on my other side.
"Spoken by a male that has never been in battle before." Eris grunted.
"What do you know about battle? As far as I'm aware, you and I have faced an equal amount, Vanserra." Tarquin shot back, and flames danced at Eris's fingers.
"If you are going to fight, do it on the battle field, and direct it at Hybern." Kallias said, and I saw hoarfrost begin to form in his palms as he saw the fight brewing.
"We are not going to fight each other." Feyre growled, and the High Lords turned to face her. "If we fight each other we will lose this war, and I have no plan in doing that. Chanel you anger into the battle, or leave now. We will not fall apart from within. We will not attack Hybern now, because we cannot cross their wards, and they will be able to pick us off easily whilst they are protected." She said, and no one mentioned anything else about attacking Hybern in a surprise attack.
"We will move our armies along the border, keep them hidden from view, but hold the high ground." I said, and I stood, Feyre following suit, and left the tent, leaving the other lords to argue amongst themselves.
When are you going to call in your bargains?
Now.

Feyre

The Prison was as dark and miserable as I remembered, and I felt the airpress down on me, as if it were trying to trap me in there as one of itsprisoners. The less time I was in there, the better.
Rhys walked besides me, both of us in our fighting leathers, as we made thedescent into the darkness, towards where the Bone Carver waited.
Too soon, we reached the bone gates that held the Bone Carver in his cell, andRhys opened them under his touch to reveal the dark haired, violet eyed boy, aboy that was the child I could have bore.
"You know who I am, High Lady, and you know what I could have been." He did notmean himself, he meant who I saw. "But you gave that future up when you left yourmate. Did the Suriel not tell you anything? Did he not warn you?"
"We aren't here to talk. Do you want to leave this place or not?" Rhys said tothe Carver, turning his attention to him.
"I don't want to leave, no, but I will fight for you, if only to see past thisworld, and to cross the threshold of the door your mate had one foot through."The Carver said, turning his eyes back onto me.
"We are not here to exchange information, we are here to call in the bargain Imade, so get up off that floor and come now. Do whatever you need to do." Rhys growled,and he left the room, but I stayed behind, watching the young boy look aroundhim, look at the bones he had been carving for thousands of years.
"One last piece of knowledge." The Carver said, picking up a bone next to him,handing it to me.
"Nothing is given for free, and I don't wish to give you anything else." Isaid, and I turned to leave, but the boy shoved the bone into my hand, and I threwit away, but not before I saw the carving etched into a shard of the attor'sbone.
My death.