03 - The Origins

Later that night Draco and Blaise were sitting in the Slytherin common room, the two noticed how it wasn't as crowded as it was before. The number of Slytherins has greatly decreased since the war, some never came back after it, losing their lives, most were not welcomed back as they were ex-death eaters and the majority of first years did not want to be sorted into their house. So the Slytherins decided to renew their tarnished reputation. All of them wanted to start fresh and prove to everyone that they have changed and they're not who they used to be.

Serena entered the common room with a blank expression. The two knew she was just from the library with Dormatt but they weren't sure if it went well or not. They were surprised to see her sit on the sofa across from them. When she still didn't say anything Draco asked. "So, what happened?"

She then smiled, "It went.... Great actually. I didn't stutter as much and as much as I hate to admit it but your advice actually worked so thank you!."

"Look at that! Collins is actually grateful" Blaise said, leaning back to the chair.

Serena just rolled her eyes. While Serena discussed her research topic with Blaise, Draco was staring at her. Finally, annoyed with him, Serena turned to Draco "it's rude to stare you know"

"Is it true?" He asked out of nowhere

"What is?"

"You're a muggle born?"

Serena was caught off guard by the sudden question. She swallowed hard but answered, "Yes, yes I am"

The two just looked at her. She thought she didn't care if they were going to leave her alone after finding out but honestly, she was feeling a bit sad if they did. She missed the interaction among her fellow Slytherins but Serena continued, "Look if you want to insult me and leave then go ahead. I'm sure it's something I've heard of before. If you start calling me mudblood though tough luck, that doesn't affect me anymore."

The two cringed at the word. Funny how Draco always used to say that like it was nothing, the problem was he never really knew the gravity of the word because his father said it like it was nothing.

"No, we won't. We're not the same as we were Collins. You'd be surprised how much a war can change a person" Blaise said looking down as if remembering.

"No, I know what it does. I was there too."

The three fell quiet for a moment but Draco cleared his throat and everyone snapped back to the present.

"So you're not appalled by me?" She asked, making sure.

Both just shook their heads with a small smile. "What we're curious though is how a muggle born like you was sorted in Slytherin. Usually, only purebloods get sorted in this house, with the occasional half-bloods." Blaise was leaning forward with a curious expression.

"Yes, a muggle-born Slytherin is rare but not unheard of. My friend Daisy, said that there was a muggle-born boy sorted in our house 4 or 5years before me. Besides, the sorting hat sorts us by our traits not by our blood." Serena explained.

"You have a point but still, you don't seem fitting here, no offense. And while we have changed for the better we Slytherins still are not to be considered goody-two-shoes, caring is sharing, Hufflepuffs, or chivalrous goody Gryffindors, or Ravenclaw teacher's pets and all that nonsense. You just seem too nice to be here is what I'm trying to say, not even arrogant as what we witnessed earlier with you and door matt. We Slytherins are usually confident and proud" Said Blaise.