ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ || ᴛʜᴇ ᴠɪsɪᴏɴ

Lenori

"With each beat, this world's heart grows weaker. Find the eight, but beware the ninth. She is not who she seems..."

AMAYA
The word flashed in my vision, drawn across the swollen abdomen of a spider.

ZHONG
Dust rose around the word as a jaguar raced past. I shielded my eyes and coughed, but it was gone within a moment.

Replacing it came a viper, slithering through the letters of STETRIOL.

OCEANUS faded into view, a chameleon reclining in the U.

ARCTICA
A wolverine stood before the word, it's mouth open in a growl. I was pitched forward into it's jaws, and found myself astride a brown horse.

EURA
The word loomed in my vision as we galloped toward it. The horse arched its back and leapt over it, but I tumbled off.

Instead of hitting the ground, I fell into water. A stingray appeared above me, the word drawn through the water.
GREENHAVEN

"Find the eight!" The phrase echoed around my head as I floated, trying to make sense of it all.

And then I was falling again.

I sprang awake, drenched in sweat.

Myriam, my rainbow ibis, ruffled their feathers as they woke across the room as well.

I shook my head to try and clear the sleep from it. "Another vision." My blue hair swung into my face as I did so. I brushed it away, running a hand through it. My nails scraped my scalp.

"I guess we have to tell Olvan." I stood from the bed, making my way over to Myriam's perch.

The ibis chirped. They nuzzled into my finger as I stroked their head gently.

"Yeah, no, he's not going to be happy about it." I sighed. "Oh well. Maybe I'll take a detour and grab him a cup of coffee." I wasn't partial to the Niloan drink myself, but the leader of the Greencloaks loved it. And many of the elder recruits enjoyed it as well

I slung my cloak over my shoulder and offered Myriam passive. The ibis declined, choosing instead to stay out and sit on my shoulder. Despite the impracticality of it, I was grateful for the familiar weight of my spirit animal as I left my room.

There were guards posted at the end of the hallway, but they didn't question it as I slipped past. They knew by now that I had odd habits. That, and they knew if they asked questions that I would merely answer with more questions. I could be really annoying when I wanted to.

I made my way down to the kitchen without incident.

One of the cooks, a stout blonde woman by the name of Diane, was awake and bustling around, despite it being past midnight. She turned to me as I entered. "Lenori, dear, what brings you here? It's the middle of the night."

"Oh, this and that." I answered vaguely, hoping she wouldn't pry. I had enough on my mind as it was.

"Alright." Diane pointed to the kettle, which was sitting on the stove and whistling. "Tea?"

"Please." I paused. "And a cup of coffee as well."

She arched an eyebrow. "He's not going to be happy to be woken."

I laughed. "He's never happy to be woken. Besides, I think he'll want to hear this." I reached up to rub my temples. "It's important."

"Not another one." The cook grumbled as she started grinding the coffee beans for Olvan's drink.

I glanced up, halfway through pouring the boiled water into my cup. "Another what?"

"Prophecy." She shot a look over her shoulder at me. "Assuming that's what this is about."

I broke the eye contact quickly. She must've read my mind or something. I dropped the leaves into my tea and turned away. "... yes."

"Hm." She grunted. "Those poor kids. They're barely old enough to be out on their own." She reached for the kettle and poured water in with the ground beans.

I blew on my steaming drink and eyed her. "You have a son, don't you?"

Now it was her turn to pause. "Tazi. He's 14 next month."

"Then he'll be eligible for the Nectar." I watched her carefully.

Her hands shook. "Well, I certainly hope he doesn't summon anything. I have enough on my plate as it is."

I blinked and tilted my head. "And if he does?"

Diane turned and held out the steaming mug. "Well, at least he won't go far." She smiled tightly.

I took the cup and nodded my thanks, then headed out of the kitchen. I made my way up to the tower where Olvan's chambers were located. Balancing both drinks in one hand, I rapped on the door.

There was no answer at first.

I sighed and knocked again. "It's Lenori. I brought coffee."

This time, the door swung open. Olvan stood behind it, his gaze dark. "This has better be important."

I held out the coffee. "I think you'll want to hear it."

He stepped aside to let me in.

"So it's a prophecy." The leader of the Greencloaks leaned back in his chair, stroking his dark, bushy beard. He took a long drink from the cup in his one hand.

I sighed. "Of some sort. I can't decipher it."

"Well, that's what a prophecy is all about." He grunted. "Although, it would be nice if we had a little bit more information." Olvan looked at me hopefully.

I shrugged. "That was the whole dream."

"Well, I guess that leaves us with only one option." He mused. "We'll find the Eight."

"But how? They're spread all across Erdas."

Olvan scooted closer to his desk and picked up a quill. "You're forgetting that we are, too." He pointed the feather at me before dipping it into the ink. "Finn's out on mission in Eura, I'm sure he can take a detour. Sophia just left for Zhong yesterday, hopefully she can get there in time. I haven't had contact with Dylan in a while, but last I heard he was still in Nilo."

"Alex hasn't been out for a while, we could send him up to Arctica." I chipped in.

Olvan nodded, adding the name to the list.

"And for Amaya?" I frowned.

"Tyler's visiting a friend out there, I'll send him a message." Olvan responded.

"And Stetriol?" The word tasted sour in my mouth, a reminder of the failure we'd faced so many years ago.

Olvan's caterpillar-esque eyebrows furrowed. "We'll send Ryan out there. It'll be good for her to finally get out on a solo mission." He answered after a moment of thought.

"So it's settled then." I sat back, cupping my tea in both hands. "We'll find the Eight and bring them back. What then?"

"Tyler and Ryan will train them." Olvan answered, his tone giving no room for argument. "Then we'll worry about the rest."

This is my first Spirit Animals fanfic, so I hope that you like it. Please comment and vote.

edit: 16/03/21
ok so it ended up being more of a whole rewrite than just an edit, but i like it better now so whatever

also no, i do not know the gender of lenori's spirit animal so i used they/them pronouns. suck it.