ᴇᴘɪʟᴏɢᴜᴇ || sʜᴀᴅᴏᴡs

Unknown

I don't quite know for how long I was tailing the shadowed figure. Their hooded black cloak rippled like sinister waves as their small, dirt-trodden trail crossed into the crescent moon's silvery light. I tensed as they paused in the clearing, scurrying silently up a tree and holding my breath. They glanced around, their face hidden beneath their dark hood.

Another figure, also hooded, stepped into the clearing from the opposite direction. Their eyes flashed as they scanned the surroundings. I pressed myself against the tree trunk and prayed they couldn't see me.

Satisfied, the figure redirected their gaze to the other. "You have the talisman?" Their voice was a silky, manipulative tenor that made me grind my teeth.

"Of course. Sir." The other replied, the formality twisted into spite.

Manipulative– as I decided to so creatively dub them– let out a derisive chuckle. "Come now. No need to be that way. I'm proud of the work you did."

"Thank you, sir." Spiteful– another genius name, I know– relaxed their tone slightly, lightly veiled anger biting through. "But you should've told me."

"Told you what?" Manipulative folded their hands together. Their fingers were pale and spidery, a dark silver band glinting above one of their knuckles. "That the rest of the Prophesied Ones are fools? Come now, girl. Would you really have taken the job if I had?"

Spiteful paused at that. "No. I would not." She acquiesced finally. "But I do not appreciate being kept in the dark."

"Noted." Manipulative nodded, but the word was dismissive. "I trust you are ready for your next mission, then?"

Spiteful squared her shoulders. "I am. Whatever you need."

"Perfect." Manipulative's teeth flashed pearly white in the moonlight. They leaned closer.

I strained to hear, but only managed to catch the tail end of what they said.

"... they will learn to trust you. And once they do, you strike. Tear them apart from the inside out."

My heart fell to my toes. Nothing good would come of this, I could feel it already.

"And it will work?" Spiteful breathed it with a sick sort of reverence.

Manipulative chuckled. "Of course. Just do your part and Gerathon with do the rest."

Gerathon. The fearsome name struck fear into me like I'd never felt before.

"So she is free, then?" Spiteful sounded excited, bordering on gleeful.

"Yes, my dear. Free as a bird." Manipulative agreed.

"Perfect. And she is still unaware?"

She who? I wondered briefly. Tellun's antlers, do they always have to speak in such riddles?

"Of course, if the job has been executed correctly." Manipulative sounded irked now.

But Spiteful continued obliviously. "This is wonderful, Zerif. At this rate Erdas will be ours in no time."

"Watch your tongue!" Manipulative– or, I guess Zerif, snapped uneasily. "Do not throw our names and plans around willy-nilly. Anyone could be listening."

Spiteful clammed up at that. She glanced over my shoulder.

I bite my tongue and gripped the tree tighter, struggling to steady my breathing.

A flash of light illuminated the clearing and a jackal appeared at Zerif's side. It raised its muzzle to the air and let out a low whine, turning in my direction.

I swore internally.

Zerif followed its gaze and stepped slowly toward the tree. They peered up through the branches and a scowl twisted their face in the dark as they spotted my huddled form. "You fool! You were followed."

"Impossible!" Spiteful bounded toward us. Her hood slipped, dirty blond wisps of hair escaping, along with a look of panic.

Zerif scowled. They reached into their belt and withdrew a knife.

I wanted to run. But I was stuck to the tree. And I knew I wouldn't get far.

Zerif raised an arm, knife at the ready and glaring at me. The movement swept aside their cloak. A glimmering gold C illuminated on their chest. "Next time, do better." they growled.

"Yes sir." Spiteful nodded. She watched with rapt attention as the knife flicked out of Zerif's hand.

I heard the wet thunk and glanced down, seeing the hilt protruding from my chest. Pain shocked my system a moment later and I released the tree trunk to reach for the knife. Air rushed around me as I plummeted.

And I was dead before I even hit the ground.

END BOOK ONE.

That's the end of book one! There are more books, book two is called Lonely falls and there's the book of extras, for if you have any questions, dares or anything for the Eight! The cover is at the top. It'll be out soon! Also, who do you think that the two figures are? See you in the next book!

edit: 29/05/21
oop
i'm sorry, random unnamed oc.
anyway!! book two is available on my page is you're interested. it will be edited soon dw
enjoy my lovelies!! xx

book 2 cover:

🎉 You've finished reading Fɪɢʜᴛ Fᴏʀ Aʟʟ || Tʜᴇ Cʜᴏsᴇɴ Eɪɢʜᴛ Bᴏᴏᴋ Oɴᴇ 🎉