ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ɴɪɴᴇ || ɢʀᴇᴇɴʜᴀᴠᴇɴ

Navia

I don't think I'll ever really be able to feel sheer awe in the same way again.

Greenhaven was stunning.

The way the castle was nestled between the rocks, marble and granite blending almost seamlessly, made it seem like it had always belonged there. Like perhaps when the world came into being, the rocks just melded into the magnificent turrets and the walls grew up from the earth naturally. Moss clung to the outer walls and ivy crept along the bottom, like the island was gently reminding the castle where it had come from.

I had never seen something be so... effortlessly beautiful. Sun danced between iron gates, welcoming and bright. But as I stood in its shadow, I realized just how small I truly was. This castle– home, to many– was merely thee start of this wild adventure. And I had no idea, nor control over, where it may go.

"Navia?"

Alex's voice startled me from my thoughts. I jogged to catch up with him, slowing again once we'd entered the iron gates. The courtyard was another wonder. Carefully kept lawns, adorned with small flowers here and there, bordered the smooth cobblestone paths. Greencloaks dotted the expanse, milling about with easy smiles.

I wanted to be part of it.

The thought struck me with surprise. This castle... it was a home. A safe haven. Where everyone was a family. And I wanted that too.

"Well, it's certainly different than I'm used to." I joked, turning to Alex and shaking off the tendrils of my thoughts.

The man laughed. His eyes followed a small squirrel, his spirit animal, I realized, as it scampered across the path. "You'll get the hang of everything. I think you'll like it here."

I nodded, nerves suddenly bubbling in my chest. What if I don't fit in?

As if he'd sensed my discomfort, Cerco nudged my leg, drawing my attention. I glanced down at him and he yawned. My nerves ebbed away and I laughed.

"What's funny?" Alex asked, glancing back when he heard my laughter.

"Nothing!" I answered innocently, patting Cerco's head lightly.

He narrowed his eyes playfully, but made no comment. Alex beckoned as he headed into the castle.

I trotted after him, Cerco bounding beside me. We caught up just as he walked into the entrance hall.

It was big. No, not big. It was huge. The ceiling arched so high that I'm pretty sure it touched the sky. I couldn't make out any details on it, but the rest of the room was more interesting, anyway. Banners and tapestries were hung from every wall. I spotted the Four Fallen, along with a few other Great Beasts. My gaze roved the hall, but stopped when it landed on the small group of kids gathered near the centre.

My heart jumped to my throat as I spotted them. A boy with an ostrich, a girl with a horse. They were part of the prophecy. Alex had told me. They were my team. The nerves resurfaced. I did a quick count to try and distract myself, but realized there were only seven.

"Where's the eighth?" I muttered to Cerco, furrowing my eyebrows. The wolverine merely blinked, as if to say, how should I know?