ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ғɪᴠᴇ || ᴛʜᴇ ᴏsᴛʀɪᴄʜ

Niko

My bare feet pounded on the earth, toes scraping for purchase as I skidded around a corner. I threw a hurried glance over my shoulder, searching for my pursuer.

They were nowhere to be seen.

Slowing, I fought to calm my racing heart. My chest heaved, but I was grinning as I stared at the loaf of bread I clutched in my hands. It wasn't much, but it would feed us for today.

I was walking now, but still shot cautious looks over my shoulder from time to time. A small, run down hut appeared near the end of the rough dirt street. I tucked my stolen prize under one arm and pushed the tattered curtain that served for a door aside.

Dappled light was scattered over the dirt floor.

My younger brother, who was playing with a crude wooden staff, looked up as I entered. "Mum's in the back." He answered my unspoken question, jerking a thumb over my shoulder.

"Thanks, Aiden." I set the loaf down on our small table, then proceeded to find her. "Breakfast's on the table." I leaned in the doorway that led off into the second room.

My mother straightened from where she was rearranging our cots, turning to me. Lines– from all that laughter, she used to tell us– were etched into her dark face. Her hair was layered with grey. "Niko, baby. Did you steal it again?"

I pushed off the wall and shrugged. "I had no choice, mum. We've got no coins to spare."

She cleared the space in less than two steps, placing her hands on my cheeks and pulling my face down so she could plant a kiss on my forehead. "You weren't followed?" She released me, glancing around worriedly.

I patted her arm. "No, mum, the merchant couldn't catch me," I reassured.

"Good, good." She nodded. "Come then. Let's go eat."

Back in the other room, we all sat down to enjoy the meagre breakfast. As soon as we were done, I slipped back to wash up a little bit. I changed into my nicest clothes, though they were hardly better than rags.

It would have to do, I thought to myself as I coaxed my wildly curly hair into submission.

Once the time came, my family and I walked out into the village square, keeping a careful eye out for the merchant I stole from that morning.

The village Greencloak, Eli, was waiting. The bowl containing the Nectar of Ninani was balanced in his delicate hands.

I walked slowly up to him, conscious of the many eyes on me.

"Kneel." Eli's voice rang out authoritatively over the village, silencing the spectators.

I knelt, looking up. The underside of the Nectar's bowl was carved intricately with swirling silhouettes of animals. I would've liked to run my fingers over it, perhaps study it more, but then Eli brought it to my lips. He tipped it so I could take a sip.

The liquid hit my tongue in an explosion of flavour. It was sweet like the honeyed soup my father used to make Aiden and I when we were sick. Before...

I banished the thought. Now was not the time to be remembering his death.

Eli pulled back the bowl and I stood.

A rumble of thunder echoed in the sky, jolting me right down to the core. I fell to my knees.

"What's going on?!" The words came out slurred.

A flash of lightning split the sky, then the thunder stopped.

I was still blinking away the light when I heard the gasps. Mustering my strength, I pulled myself up to my feet.