ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴ || ᴀ ᴛᴇᴀᴍ

Sabien

I drew my eyes up from the floor at the sound of footsteps, praying it wasn't someone who wanted to talk to me. I sucked at small talk. And just socializing in general, but that's beside the point.

Eldya curled her tail up and tugged on my earlobe, as if to remind me to at least try.

I sighed. It's first impressions that matter most, right? Better make it a good one. So I plastered a smile on my face and greeted the girl who walked up.

She was gorgeous.

Sabien! I scolded myself, but couldn't take my eyes off the girl.

She had long, reddish-brown hair that flowed past her shoulders. Her eyes shimmered, they were clearly a light colour, but she was too far away to tell which. A wolverine trotted eagerly at her side, which made me gulp as soon as I saw it.

Of course you'd fall for the one with the scariest animal. I groaned internally.

The girl halted about a pace from me, pushing her fingers through her hair and offering a shy smile that made my own lips quirk up higher. "Hi there." She greeted brightly.

"Hi!" I squeaked in response. My ears turned hot. Oh Tellun, this is going to go badly.

She gestured to the wolverine. "This is Cerco, and I'm Navia!" The newly-introduced Navia offered another dazzling grin. "And you are?"

"I'm meet, Sabien to nice you!" I blurted back. Horrified by the nonsense I'd just spewed, I clapped a hand over my mouth. "I-I mean..."

Navia burst into laughter. "Say that again?" She giggled.

I ducked my head, but a laugh bubbles into my throat anyway. "I'm Sabien, nice to meet you." I tried again.

"Sabien, got it." She wiped at her eyes and nodded. "Who did you summon?"

"Oh, ah, Eldya." I pointed to my shoulder. "The chameleon?"

She raised a brow. "She seems shy."

"Well," I turned and shot a glance at my shoulder. "Oh." The chameleon had camouflaged herself when the girl had approached, but I hadn't noticed, because I could still feel her weight. What happened to good first impressions? I grumbled mentally. "Sorry about that, I guess you scared her." I answered sheepishly.

Navia shrugged. "Yeah, Cerco has a way of doing that." She looked back down at the wolverine. "Don't you, boy?" Looking back up, Navia flashed another smile.

I blinked and returned the grin, too dazzled to think of how stupid I looked. By Tellun, she smiles a lot, I thought to myself.

It was only after she walked away that I realized I didn't mind it.

Zay

Who is this stuck up brat? I wondered angrily. I ground my teeth and glared at the horse girl the Ryan had brought over.

"Lucia, this is Zay." The oblivious guardian squeezed the brunette's shoulder and smiled cheerfully at us.

I could already tell that I didn't like either of them. Ryan's smile and optimism hurt my head. And Lucia– which is an ugly name, by the way– was staring down her nose at me.