ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴏ || ᴛʜᴇ ᴄʜᴀᴍᴇʟᴇᴏɴ

Sabien

"Get! Up!" The harsh shout echoed.

I blinked my eyes open.

"Get moving!"

"Going, going," I grumbled under my breath as I got dressed.

"Go faster!" My mother's piercing voice was now accompanied by her head as she poked it into my room. "Hurry up!"

"I'm hurrying." I mumbled as soon as she was gone. Finally dressed, I headed outside. I paused in the sunlight, enjoying the warmth.

"Well, well, well. Look who's up." My eldest brother, Chris, sneered at me. He leaped down from the tree branch he was crouched on. The rest of my brothers were gathered at the bottom, and they all turned and glared at me as well.

"Hey." I rubbed my arm and stared at the ground, hoping they'd leave me alone for once.

No such luck.

"Think you'll summon a spirit animal?" Chris taunted.

"There's no way!" Timothy, another one of my brothers, snickered, "we didn't, so how could he?"

They approached, closing into a circle around me.

"Yeah, you're the weakest of us all." Johnny reached out and yanked on my hair.

I bit my tongue and continued to stare at the ground.

"Boys!" We all winced at the sound of our mother's shrill voice, "get your butts in here!"

"Coming, ma!" Riley called. He shoved me onto the ground, and they all shot one last nasty look at me before running back inside.

I waited until they were all gone before standing. I took my time brushing dust off my clothes before finally following.

"Sabien!" My mother glared at me with a curled lip, "are you ready?" I saw her mutter to disappoint under her breath.

I nodded mutely.

"Well then, let's go!" She brushed roughly past us and headed for the village square. Johnny and my brothers followed, but not before they all shoved me to the ground for a second time that morning.

I stood and brushed dust off me, pausing to fix my ruffled hair before walking out to the village square. Our village Greencloak, Haru, was waiting. Another woman who was also wearing a green cloak stood beside him. I could feel both of their gazes burning my neck as I ducked my head to avoid making eye contact.

"Sabien, come forward!" Haru called, pretty much as soon as I arrived.

I made my way up to the stage, nerves jumping and making my hands shake. I clenched them in my shirt to try and hide it.

"Kneel."

I knelt, my head still angled down.

Haru quickly reached down and tipped it back up. "Don't worry." He murmured sympathetically out of the side of his mouth. "Even if you don't summon anything, I'll get you out of here."

I couldn't do anything but blink back gratefully.

He lifted the bowl of Nectar and addressed the crowd once more. "Sabien, receive the Nectar of Ninani." Haru tilted the bowl and I sipped the clear substance that was inside. It was the best thing I ever tasted, reminding me rather of honeyed peaches and mangoes.

"Stand."

I stood, feeling shaky again. But this time it wasn't nerves. I felt unsteady.

A sudden flash of light, made me stumble. I shook my head to clear it. My eyes landed on the chameleon as it appeared.

I stared at it as it ran towards me.

It climbed up my leg, and as soon as it touched my skin, the odd, unsteady feeling faded.

The chameleon made her way up to my shoulder– it was a she, which I knew just by the touch. She perched on my shoulder, her weight simultaneously familiar and strange. It felt like she belonged there.

The crowd was silent with awe and disbelief.

Unwittingly, I raised my head. I caught Chris' gaze and recoiled instinctively. Every single one of my brothers was glaring at me with unbridled dislike. No, scratch that. It was hate. The force of their gazes made me step back.

I bumped into someone and glanced up. It was the other Greencloak.

She'd stepped forward and offered a light smile. She took my arm and lifted it in the air. "Sabien has summoned a spirit animal!"

As a limp cheer went up in the crowd, she bent close and murmured in my ear. "My name is Hayley. You summoned a chameleon. That makes you part of a prophecy to save Erdas."

I blinked at her, uncomprehending. I couldn't save Erdas. I couldn't even save myself.

She smiled, "where're your parents?"

I pointed, in the general direction on my brothers, "over there."

Hayley sprang off the stage and made a beeline for my mom. I trailed behind her, doing my best to avoid all the stares that followed me.

"I'm Hayley," she introduced herself to my mother, who looked unimpressed. "Your son is part of a prophecy to save Erdas, it would be best if he came back to Greenhaven with me to train."

My mother barked out a harsh laugh. She grabbed my wrist as I stepped up at Hayley's side. "Who put these ideas in your head, boy?" She shook my arm and I winced. "Summoning an animal. Saving Erdas. Enough with the delusions! You know your place. Stay in it!"

Hayley grabbed her arm just as she went to shake me again.

My mother froze and glared at her.

"Let him go." Hayley hissed lowly. "And get. Out."

My mother narrowed her eyes. But she released my wrist and backed off. "Boys!" Her voice was shrill with a tone I was all too used to. Anger. It made me wince.

Chris and the others shot to her side like obedient dogs.

My mom regained her composure and glowered at both of us. "Take him, then. Maybe he'll finally get around to dying and we won't have to deal with him again. Fitting, that the weakest boy join the weakest organization."

"Excuse me–" Hayley started furiously.

"Don't." I uttered, reaching out to stop her. "It's not worth it."

My mother smirked. "Run along now. Daddy's calling." She flicked her fingers and spun on her heel, stalking away. My brothers all sent me one last glare before following.

Hayley was seething. "How dare she." The Greencloak growled. "Come on." She took my arm. "We're leaving."

I jogged to catch up. And didn't even bother to glance back, keeping my eyes set forward. I was leaving this place– these people– behind for good.

Please comment and vote. I'm thinking of making a book about questions and dares for the eight. Comment if you think I should.

edit: 16/03/21
a little bit more description of the abuse sabien dealt with as a kid (but even this is glossing over a lot) 
my poor son :(
anyway i hope you enjoyed! xx