ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ || ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪssɪᴏɴ

Navia

Tyler and Ryan lead the way out of the training room. I found myself falling into step beside Sabien, the shy– but cute– chameleon summoner who I'd befriended on my first day. He didn't say anything, but offered a small smile, which I returned happily. We walked down the corridors of the castle, chattering in a subdued, nervous kind of way.

Finally, we seemed to arrive at our destination. Tyler paused and tugged open the massive oak door. Ryan nodded her thanks, then disappeared inside.

Silence had long since fallen, a thin blanket over anticipation, as we shuffled into the room behind her.

It must've been the meeting or planning room or something, I deduced as I took in the large table situated in its centre. Maps were spread across both it and the walls, places marked with shiny metal thumbtacks.

"Ah, welcome." Olvan's familiar yet still-intimidating rumble drew my eyes to him. He was upright at the front of the room, holding a letter and a quill.

Lenori sat in the chair to his right, her eyes matching the gentle smirk she wore as we entered.

"I hope that we didn't interrupt anything, but this is very important." Olvan spoke once more, gesturing for us to take our seats.

Glancing nervously at the others, I hastened to pull out one of the chairs and settle into it.

Tyler leaned over the table, seated to my left, on the other side of Niko. "It's fine. I take it you have news for us?"

"In a way." Olvan and Lenore exchanged an indecipherable look that only piqued my curiosity.

It was Lenori who continued next, "we believe that there is another Devourer." She stated it calmly, but I felt my heart drop out of my chest.

Gasps echoed around the room.

"You all know of the Four Fallen, who died in the first Devourer war," Olvan held up a hand for quiet as he explained further, "it was believed that their talismans were destroyed when they died. But, we have discovered that they were not. In fact, there are reports that the four talismans have turned up, along with an escort of three or four animals."

I could barely wrap my head around the idea of the second Devourer, but managed to pay attention to their next words.

"Your mission is to retrieve these talismans." Lenori said, her gaze sweeping the room. I blinked away as she met my eyes, unsettled.

"Before the Conquerors do." Olvan added.

Silence roared in the chamber after these statements. I swallowed, my mouth uncomfortably dry. Retrieve the talismans of the Four Fallen? How on Erdas–

"Like the summoners of the Four Fallen!" Tazi piped up finally, interrupting my thoughts and cutting the tension. He looked from Lenori to Olvan and back again, expression one of light excitement. "Right?"

"Exactly." Olvan agreed with a half-smile. "Your mission is going to be much like theirs. But, since you are not the summoners of four Great Beasts, we hope to keep the Conquerors unaware of your quest." He paused, brows drawing low and casting shadows over his already-dark eyes. "The Four Fallen have not been so lucky."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Tyler frown. He opened his mouth as if to speak, but was cut short by a knock on the door.

We were all on our feet in an instant.