ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ || ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʟᴠᴇʀɪɴᴇ

Navia

I woke to find my uncle pacing our small hut. He had a frown on his face.

"Morning." I yawned and sat up.

"Morning," he stopped pacing and came over, crouching next to me. "Do you know what day it is?"

I blinked at him, "of course not. I've never known the date a day in my life." I frowned back.

My uncle grinned, "let's go find a seal."

"Okay? You're not making sense." I sprang to my feet, pulled on my jacket, grabbed my spear, and followed him out into the cold Arctica winds.

We found a breathing hole and had just laid down to wait when I heard a sound behind me. I slowly lifted my head and saw a figure stumbling through the snow.

"Uncle," I whispered.

"Yes?" His eyes stayed fixed on the hole.

"There's someone out there!"

Uncle finally glanced away from the hole, "you're right." He responded, his whisper hissing through clenched teeth. He hated being interrupted during a hunt.

"What're we going to do?" I asked lowly.

"I'll go, you stay here and catch us some breakfast." Uncle carefully scooted backward, making sure put a large amount of space between himself and the hole before getting to his feet and walking towards the figure.

I grinned and settled down to wait. Not long after, a seal appeared and hauled itself onto the ice. I waited till it was clear of the hole before throwing my spear. It flew straight and true, piercing the seal's heart. I got to my feet and headed over to it. I crouched beside the downed animal, bowing my head and mumbling, "I'm sorry, friend. But we need your meat to survive, forgive me."

"Nice job, Nav."

I spun around to find my uncle supporting another man. "Thanks." I glowed at his praise, then gave the man a questioning look.

He shrugged, looking just as confused as I did. "We'll ask once he's warm and awake."

We made our way back to the hut and went inside. Uncle carefully laid the man onto the floor then grabbed the seal from me.

"I'll prepare this, you keep watch of our visitor."

I sat down on the ground beside the man and picked up my spear, cleaning the blood from its tip.

He woke with a loud groan and immediately tried to sit up.

"Hush," I carefully pushed him back down, "wait until you've fully regained your strength."

The man opened his eyes, "where am I?" He murmured blearily.

"You're in a hut." I answered. "In Arctica. Do you remember how you got here?"

"Who are you?" He ignored my question in favour of asking his own.

"I'm Navia." I replied, "who are you?"

"I'm Alex." The man slowly sat up, and this time I didn't push him back. He shifted, a splash of green showing from under his parka.

"You're a Greencloak." I remarked with wonder.

Just then, my uncle reappeared with bowls of the prepared food.

"Ah, you're awake." He set the bowls down, "hungry, Nav?"

"I'm always hungry," I joked in return, grabbing a bowl and offering one to Alex.

"Thanks." Alex accepted and we dug in.