9 - Bad People

Rose rarely cried over things that were important. She didn't shed a tear at her own father's funeral and she felt as if she were a monster for it. She cried over little things, like paper cuts, TV shows, and minor anger outbursts. But serious things stunted Rose in a way she couldn't explain. Even now Rose feels like tears could pour for hours but her eyes are dry.

"I hate this." She mutters as she looks down at her dirty shoes and then around her. The trees were thick right here and she knew that her house was a while away. The damp ground crunched under her feet and she shivered every so often due to the temperature continually dropping. Rose looks up at the sky and sighs. It's going to rain and she will be victim.

Rose pulls the diary of Gwen out of her bag and reads small pieces as she walks, a little something to keep her mind busy and to pass the time. She reads of typical little girl things. Passages of shoes and dolls. Others about McGee and her other family members, although it was clear Gwen adored McGee.

Rose flips through the book and some pages are blank and some are torn and scriblked out, but she comes across a page in the very back of the book. The handwriting is the same, but it appears to belong to someone a little older.

On this page, the pencil was pushed hard into the paper, little tears protrude from the backside of the page.

Rose looks up and can see her house not too far away.

Dear Diary,
It's been years now and I still secretly visit the mansion. They scratched out our name from the front. They took away almost everything from inside. Brother is still here, I saw him. I think they have him trapped, I'm sneaking in today to see. Pray for me if I don't make it out, they may keep me, too.

Rose shut the book. It was obviously Gwen, but Rose was confused. How could Gwen have written this? McGee said she was dead, but this was years after the incident.

"Rose?" She stops on the road and looks straight ahead, thinking she hears her mother but seeing no one ahead. "Hello? Rose?" She hears the unfamiliar and all her hairs stand on edge. She keeps her eyes straight ahead on the empty road as her stomach flips.

"No." Rose says outloud and starts walking faster. "No." She says more forcefully.

"Rose." The voice was more demanding and warped and Rose looks over at the trees and sees a figure walking in the shadows, mimicking her every move.

The shadowy fugure abruptly stops and turns toward her and begins wailing and Rose presses her hands firmly to her ears as the screams ring painfully through her head.

"No! Leave me alone." Rose screams back. Her hands trembled and it made it hard to hold onto the book in her hand. Rose takes a step back and her breath come about uneven.

Rose was alone, no one would be able to hear her if she needed help.

The shadow twitches and then moves quickly toward her. Rose takes off in a sprint and the screaming behind her gets louder and closer.

Rose reaches the driveway and she seems to be dragged down with each step. She felt hands holding her back and she struggles to free herself.

Rose lands on her knees and an intense pain fills her chest and she can't breathe. Rose forces herself to her feet and she forces her way to the courtyard. Her vision darkens and the screaming stops.

On the porch, the doors were wide open and McGee stands there. He has his hands held out beside him and a menacing look is rooted on his face.

Rose blinks her eyes rapidly to clear her vision and takes a deep breath. She turns to look behind her. Dark clouds cover the sky fully and the shadows that tried to take her were retreating. Rain starts pouring and she turns around to look at McGee. He nods for her to come to him and she wastes no time as she sprints up the steps.
Her mother walks to the door as Rose is out of the rain. Rose places a dirty hand on the doorframe and looks at Maggie, who stares back horrified.