12 - It Wasn't You

"I don't know you well enough to say, but I'm almost certain that something is bugging you." Cameron says as they walk down the street after the movie. He parked a block away from their destination. Rose was grateful for the fresh air and the open proximity. If anything pops out here, she has plenty of space to run.

"What sets it off?" She asks him as he shrugs off his jacket and passes it it to her. She smiles gratefully and puts it on.

"I picked you up and you flew out of your house. You don't have a jacket or a cellphone. We get here and you refused to watch a movie with any form of scary stuff in it." Cameron says an Rose has to agree. It does sound a bit weird.

"I just was in a rush and don't like scary things that much. I said I was realistic, not stupid." Rose says with hopes that he takes it and leaves it alone.

"Okay, sure." He says and they pass an alley and Rose stops and looks through the darkness, and invisible tug pulling her toward it.

"You lied to us, Rose. You said he wouldn't be able to come up with the money. I don't take well to liars, girl." The angry male voice echoes and Rose takes a small step back as the girly whimper echo through the alley.

"I'll fix it Hodge, I will. I'll figure out something." She says.

"You have a week before I choose what I want." The man growls.

"Anything!" The girl says.

"Rose?" She turns to Cameron and then back to an alley and a stray dog runs out of it. "Were you looking at the dog?" Cameron asks and chuckles.

"I thought it was hurt, but apparently not. Let's go." She says and Cameron reaches down and takes her hand.
-
Cameron walks Rose to the door and it's pulled open to reveal Johnny and McGee and Rose can't help but smile.

Johnny raises his eyebrows at the two and leans on the doorframe. "Johnny." Cameron says with a small smirk and her brother doesn't say anything, he just leaves the door open and leaves.

"You're welcome. Oh, as Johnny as going to say, polite people do not kiss on the first date. Especially if there is no intentions of marriage." McGee says and follows Johnny. Rose has to keep a straight face as she looks at Cameron.

"Well, your brother is a bit... " Cameron doesn't finish the sentence and Rose knows what he means.

"Johnny is a bit protective since our father died. He tried to step up for me, but he has trouble with that." Rose says and Cameron nods.

"I understand that," Cameron says. "I'll see you tomorrow, Rose." He says and walks back to his car.

Rose walks inside and none of her family can be found, so she goes to Johnny's room. She throws open the door and he sits with a book in his hand and McGee leaning over his shoulder. Johnny was oblivious to McGee, but it looked as if they were both waiting together.

"What the heck," She says and they both casually glance at her and then back to the page. "Johnathan Michael Carson."

"Yes?" Johnny asks and looks at her. McGee walks over to Johnny's bed and lays across it.

"Why did you have be all dramatic when I got here?" She asks him and he shrugs.

"I'm just looking out for you. Don't make it weird Rose. I'm sorry I don't want a jerk to break your stupid little heart." Johnny says and rolls his eyes.

"A bit harsh, this guy is." McGee says with a nod and she sighs.

"Whatever. I have stuff to do." Rose says.