Chp. 6 Resolve

The hallways to the library are teaming with agents, scrambling to figure out what caused the crater in front of the BRPD.

Time slows to a stop as me and Abe meet eachothers eyes. He makes his way to me slowly as i stand frozen in place. My surroundings have been muted and my senses blurred. My vision is locked on abe and his on me. It is almost as if i am experiencing sensory deprivation but i can feel - fear. I have become fearful of what Abe thinks of me now, can i repair the damage i have done? Can i fix everything with Abe like Red says i can? Is there time left for us? Can there be an us?  My palms are cold and sweating as i clench them, my heart's on fire. ‘No. I have to do this for myself and Abe.’ I believe we can fix what i have broken, I can convince myself that this can become a new chapter in my life- i believe in us, i don't know where and i don't know when but there will be an us. I can shine again like i once did years ago, when i reached to touch the shining stars, when i wasn't seen as something to be feared, when i had something to live for. For Abe i will reach once more. I can smell the fall wind on top of the BRPD, the cold sting on my fragile skin, and my resolution comes to me.

My body is flooded with my senses once more as Abe rests his hand on my jaw. My resolution shining through my eyes, i rest my hand on his own, lacing my fingers in his. My determination makes my eyes shine stronger but my features remain gentle, i smile and drop my head into submission. Abe pulls my jaw back up and leans down. He touches our foreheads together, the warmth emanating from him settles my core, motivation me to press myself into him. His presence is pulling me under waves, pushing me through clouds as i'm floating like gravity is gone, I’m reaching down into a deep hole,  to come back to Abe - and nothings going to stop me. Abe takes a deep breath, his right hand rests on my left hip and draws me closer to him, i shudder and clutch the fabric laying tightly on his chest.

“Abe…” I'm embarrassed at how breathless i sound, abe takes it as a sign as he slides his left hand into my hair, separates out foreheads and pulls me as close to him as he can; he is cherishing this moment as wrap both my hands around him. I can smell the saline coming off of his wet suit, i can hear his heartbeat that beats as fast as my own, and i can feel his ragged breath; anxious but certain. We stay like this in the panic and flurry of agents running recklessly about the BRPD, i laugh breathlessly as i realize why and I separate from abe only a few inches.

“I think we should move to the library…” Abe smiles as he moves his left hand back to my jaw, the warm leather comforting.

“I agree.” We separate and walk closely back to the library, abe rests a solid and supportive hand on my lower back and i smile and lean into him. The agents are of no concern to us and neither is protocol as we reach the library doors. The scent of old paper is prominent once the oak doors are opened, the vast room doing nothing to hide its abundance of clutter and unshelved books. In the space only a few feet in front of us, sits two large couches - which are at the moment drowning in lore and research books. An agent comes barreling out of the lore aisle, arms full with thick books and piles then onto the floor by the couches in a panic. Sweat dripping from his brow as he jogs back into the aisle again, abe laughs lightly.

“You should tell them it was you, before they call a lockdown and bring red out. “ i smile up at abe, turning my attention away from the scrambling agent.

“ I like watching them squirm….. Just a little longer.” abe closes his eyes in bemusement, he begins to push me further into the library towards his private section. The books i gave him are finished, save for one. The book of elven history is wide open, i recognize the scripture and the depiction sketches. I panic as i realize who he was reading about - me. I pull away from abe in shame, as he’s left in confusion.

“Ven? What’s wrong?” He faces me, turning his entire body in my direction showing me he is fully committed to prying out my answer. I look down at my feet in shame, turning my head away from him; my body language is screaming discomfort at the possibility he thinks differently about me know that he’s read my history, how my brothers and sisters treated my on Le’thalin. Abes demeanor changes significantly, he becomes less frontal and relaxes his stance. He lets out a puff of air as he walks over to the history book. The pages protest as he turns them back towards the beginning of my story, the discolored pages littered with ink are stiff in his hands.  As he reaches the beginning he stops and smiles at one of the pages, the one that was a drawn depiction of me when i was younger. As epic as it might look - you know - with my hair flowing in the wind and my sword being used as a cane dug deep into the ground, all i can see is someone who has lived the life of a war lord. A monster to be feared.

“Do you know what i see Ven?” I was snapped out of my inner monologue, i looked up to abe to see his dark eyes already focused on me. I can sense the calm waves Abe is emitting but i can smell the sweat and anxiety rolling off of me, my pupils are constricted while i wring my hands together in discomfort. The worry and anxiety was evident in my expression; Abe walks over to me in small strides and links our fingers together as he connects our foreheads. His eyes bore into my own as his deep voice calms me.

“ I see a God, I see Ven Hassearath. I see someone who is stronger than anyone else i have met in my lifetime. I see someone who is scared to admit her own feelings in fear of hurting the people close to her. I had a talk with red and i know that you're afraid of hurting me, and you're scared that i will resent you for your past, or i will fear you. None of that is something you should be worrying about.”

He held my shoulders in his hands, as my body steadied, so did by breathing.

“ I felt a connection towards you - ever since i read you - the first day you came here, i felt something that i cannot explain. Like i have been attached to you by some force or other and i can't ignore that pull. To the end of this world Ven, I will follow you.”

All at once a flood, an ocean of emotions crashed upon me. I became hypersensitive to my surroundings; like a bass drop, I was suddenly overwhelmed. Although, this time is was different, almost like i have been opened up finally and revealed to the world. No longer are my emotions kept under a steel guard. Tears ran down my cheeks and chilled them in their path. I looked abe in his eyes to see sincerity and acceptance, The sharp contours of his face turned gentle as he wiped one of my tears from my jawline. I felt aknew, like the steel choker that tore my skin finally fell from my neck. With the weight that fell from my shoulders, i lept at abe and embraced him. I was taught with relief; Abe laughed and wound his arms around me just as tight as i had.

“Does this mean you'll stop running from me Ven?”

My face flooded red with embarrassment, I suddenly felt very hot.

“ Yes.”