16 |

Walgreens, Seoul Korea
Three weeks later
9pm

Word Count:1100

The drugstore was empty, leaving only me and the cashier. The vibe was silent, slow, and awkward and I stood at the
counter. There wasn't even any radio music playing in the background.

"What can I do for you?" The older man crossed his arms over his chest.

I breathed in deeply as I placed the pink box on the counter. In pretty cursive, the top of the box read, "Pregnancy Test". The slight furrow of his eyebrows screamed with judgment. I rolled my eyes as a pink blush toned my cheeks.

"H...How old are you?" He asked as he scanned the barcode.

Nearly 19.

"Not old enough," I mumbled as I placed ten thousand won on the counter.

The sound of the register keys tapping filled the somber silence. I couldn't help but notice how he'd cut his eyes at me every so often, looks of disgust filled his gaze. But who was he to judge me? He handed me the small box in a plain, brown paper bag with my receipt inside.

"Good luck," He shrugged, adjusting his thick eyeglasses.

My eyes landed on his ring finger, he was single. Probably no kids, either.

"Good luck getting a girl working at a job like this," I scoffed before storming out of the store.

"Did you get the pink one?" Jane asked as I opened the passenger side to her car door.

I plopped myself down beside her as she started up the engine. I heaved a sigh of guilt as I stared out of the window, looking at the tall building and towers that lit up Seoul. I felt bad for what I said to that man. He has the right to judge me.

"Yeah," I smacked my lips, pulling the pink box out of the bag.

Jane looked at the box, surprised.

"Wow, this is the same one Liz used when she thought Tae knocked her up," She giggled, handing it back to me.

"And she passed it?"

"Hell yeah," She sneered.

"Do you think I will?" I bit my lip anxiously.

She sighed, keeping her eyes on the busy road. "I have a feeling you won't. I mean, he came inside of you. What do you expect?"

"A miracle," I chuckled. "That's all that's been getting me by, lately. Miracles."

"What are you gonna do with it?" Jane asked cautiously.

Damn. I never really thought of that. Killing it is out of the question. But Kook and I can't be parents, living in college dorms. And I don't wanna ruin his dream by making him drop out.

"I guess... adoption is the only thing I can do," I leaned my head against the window. "I can't keep it."

"Oh!" She clapped like an excited child that'd been offered candy. "So you're gonna have it?!"

I stared at her with eyes the size of dinner plates, "Well, I can't kill it!"

"I know, I know," She giggled. "I'm just excited."

"For what?" I scoffed. "After three months, they're gonna go to a family that can care for them."

"Three months with a cute baby in the
dorm?" Jane repeated. "That'll be great! I mean, I personally hate kids. But if it doesn't cry, that'll be great!"

"New borns cry the most, Janey–ahh," I giggled, rolling my eyes playfully.

"Well fuck," She says. "Better keep that lil' whore fed and happy."

I sighed, "I'm not mother material. I kinda feel bad, though."

"About?"

"I'm bringing new life into the world just to give it away. It's the same thing my parents did to me, when I was three months old," I explained. "I stayed in orphanages and foster homes and was constantly transferred around the world. And then I ended up in Korea, where I met the first couple that was willing to parent me. Doesn't matter though, because I moved out four months later."

"But they still love you," Jane looked over at me, her hands on the wheel. "Aren't they the one paying your part of our dorm rent? My parents make me pay mine on my own. And buy my own supplies."

"Damn," I was taken aback. "Ya know Jane, I never asked you about your ethnicity."

"I get asked that question at least four times a day," She scoffed. "I'm Japanese and hispanic. My parents were also mixed with Irish and African. So I'm a whole lotta' shit. My native languages are Japanese and English,
though. I learned them both as I grew up. I had to learn Korean on my own when I moved here."

"Woooow. No wonder you're so pretty!" I cooed.

She blushed, shaking her head. "Please, I-I'm not."

When we made it back to the dormitory, Jimin and Jungkook were already anxiously waiting in the living room. I walked straight to the bathroom and locked the door, reading the back of the box.

Point the absorbent tip downward; place the absorbent tip in urine stream for at least 10 seconds to be thoroughly wet. Otherwise, you can collect your urine into a clean cup and dip half of the absorbent pad into the urine for at least 10 seconds. Re-cap the device and place it on the clean, flat surface.

"That's fucking disgusting!" I said out loud, cringing at the vision. I cracked the bathroom door open. "Someone bring me a 'clean cup'." I called out, mocking the directions on the back.

Jimin laughed aloud before bringing me a glass. I sighed, closing the door and leaning my back against it. I can't believe I'm about to piss in a cup. Am I taking a damn drug test?

I placed the pregnancy test on the kitchen table. The directions instructed the user to wait five minutes for results.

The four of use sat around the table, anxious for the results.

"I'll be honest," Jimin sighed. "If this shit is positive, I think I might cry."

"How do you think I feel?" Jungkook through his head back. "Yah, I can't look."

"You're the one that busted a nut inside of her," Jane remarked. "Look at the damn stick!"

Right on cue, the results started to slowly appear. A small gasp escaped my lips. Please, please, please, be negative.

"Fuck...," Jane mouthed as a plus sign appeared on the screen.

Positive...

I looked over at Jungkook, my jaw dropped. His eyes teared up as he returned my gaze. Instead of the cliché cheering, we both knew that at that moment...

We were both utterly fucked. Literally.