Chapter 10

The next day I woke up in a panic – it was the first official day of school. Yesterday was more of an introduction, making the transition easier. Sometime after Layla left, Will came into my room and handed me my schedule, our love-able friend made sure to pick up our classes for us. I wasn't very social during breakfast, but I made an effort to make it seem like nothing was wrong. There really wasn't anything wrong, I was just nervous about the classes and being a part of something new. On the bus ride over, Ron was able to lift my spirits up a bit which I appreciated but it only lasted during that moment. When we reached Sky High, I had to part ways with my friends and begin my solo journey.

My palms were sweating and my heart was racing. I was tightly gripping onto my class schedule, slowly making my way to first period. For the first time ever, I would be separated from Layla and Will. The three of us were attached to the hip and spent almost everyday of our lives together – especially in school. Being away from them made me nervous. I was used to looking after Will and making sure he didn't go and do something stupid as we grew up.

It was like I didn't know who I was because I was so heavily relying on other people, and the fact that there was no one I knew made me feel useless. I didn't like it, I wanted to change that. Determined this time, I loosened my hold on the already crumpled piece of paper and marched myself into heroism class. I quickly made my way to the back of the class, avoiding eye contact as I did so. Okay, so I may have forgotten how to actually be social with people other than Will and Layla. Confrontation was easy, socializing was terrifying.

Soon, the bell for the first class rang. A man, who I assumed was the teacher, walked in wearing a colorful tie that stood out against his pale shirt.

"Hello class, my name is Mr. Dawson and I will be your teacher for intro to heroism. I hope you enjoy this class as much as I'll enjoy teaching it." He gave the class an easy smile, placing his brief case on his desk and pulling out a folder. "Right, let me look at the roster for this period.... I see you're all shy." He was referring to the lack of students sitting in the front row. "Don't worry – we'll fix that."

I tapped my nail against the desk, hoping he'd leave me be.

"So, when I call your name; move up to any front row seat." His eyes were slowly moving down the list of names. "Rose Carson.... August Mulls.... Abby Lyn and uh, Scarlet Stronghold." I inwardly groaned but began to gather up my stuff. I ended up sitting the farthest away from the door and next to a pretty looking girl who had jet black hair. She gave me a light smile, moving her stuff over a bit to make more room for me. The desks were able to hold two people, making me closer to her.

For the rest of class, Mr. Dawson discussed his personal life and went over the class syllabus. Just as he was explaining who he got offered this teaching position when, at the time, he was studying the behavior of kangaroos, the bell rang.

"Ah, well next time class. Time is so short."

History was next on my schedule. And might I say, it was quite interesting and terrifying at the same time. My teacher was an older woman named Mrs. Birch, and her desk was covered in picture frames of her cat named Antoinette. When a student tried to correct her on the pronunciation of their name, she gave them a glare and told them they were wrong. She did a double take at my name but gave me an evil stare nonetheless, but it seemed that her face stuck that way for the rest of the class time.

Uh, okay.

When the bell rang, signally the last class before lunch, I gladly bolted out of there. Mrs. Birch was crazy that's for sure. Thankfully my favorite subject is next on my schedule. English. I absolutely loved the subject. My excitement left and I felt dread when I heard the bell ring.