Chapter Seven: The Genes

One particularly contemplative excursion Keomi bought herself a small crimson notebook. She began to document each of the people she killed. Those she knew the names of she would write down. Those she didn't she would just write down when she had killed them. Many would probably argue that this was a way of leaving evidence. But she didn't care. She
kept it hidden in a secret location in her room, she had carved out a place in the floor.

She flipped through the pages looking at how many people had met their end because of her. Because of what she had become. There was that man in the Boss's office, her first kill and a nameless one. Then there was the nameless ability user who could talk to animals. She had been so exhausted, she refused to ever torture some like that again. They deserved a quick death. The first person she had ever killed and known their name was Yamika Shizi.

She had killed her right in front of her love and then left like a leaf in the wind.

Keomi flipped through the pages, there were nine people in her book now. That business owner right after Shizi. Then two parents who refused to give up their ability-user child to the mafia. Then another operative who was about to squeal on the mafia. A witness to the operative killing, some woman from the police who had been guarding the operative. Then, finally, another business men from the financial district... Yamika's lover.

Nine people.

Keomi slumped into her bed ready to write the tenth name in her book. Her latest killing, from today's mission. It had been a young ability user from America, who had been trying to cause a rebellion in the mafia. She had become an operative, but was defective. Mori, yes she called him Mori when she was alone now, had wanted her to kill the traitor.

She thinks he was sending a message.

Ten people.

"Oi! Sparks hurry up!" Chuuya and Aku were waiting outside the door, they were all going to go get drinks apparently. Victory for ridding a rat out of the den. But Keomi really wished she could just be left alone, instead she would have to pretend to be happy about ending a life.

"Shizuka, please hurry up so this can be over quicker." She heard Akutagawa's voice next, he had been drug along by Chuuya unwillingly.

She placed her book back into its hiding spot, making sure it was secure. She then threw on a t-shirt, it was becoming warmer now since it was nearing summer. It had been a month since she had killed Yamika and she had barely noticed the seasons changing. Still, she continued to wear her jacket that Mori had given her. As if it protected her from it all. She also still wore the gloves Aku had given her.

"Coming you morons!" Keomi called out opening her door and looking at the two port mafia operatives. She wore a smirk, "I know I'm awesome, but you really need to stop leaning on me Chuuya-San, Aku-kun!"

"Oi! What do you mea-" Akutagawa started up but Chuuya slapped him in the head, telling him silently to shut up.

"Lovely to have you with us Sparks, excellent job in putting down that rat." Chuuya congratulated her, for killing someone, Keomi smiled at him.

"Lovely to see you too, shortie." Chuuya's smile twitched angrily trying to keep his rage in. They did not need to get into a shouting match today.

"You have a lot of guts talking to an executive like that, Sparks." Chuuya's eyes twitched still trying to control his rage. Keomi simply smirked at him.

"Come on Aku! Let's go get shit-faced!" Keomi wrapped her arms around Akutagawa's left and began to drag him down the streets of Yokohama. He protested the entire way to the bar, Chuuya still pouting twenty paces behind them.