Jack Spheer

April 19th 2017 (During 2x16)

Lena hated airports.

The crowds, the long waiting times that effectively wasted your day. Not to mention the fact that she would be spending all that time dreading the prospect of getting on to one of those death traps. Statistically speaking it might be safe, but Lena still hated flying. Today, however, she would have much preferred her trip to National City Airport to have been for a 12-hour flight. She hadn't actually been there since arriving from Metropolis; most of her international business meetings being held through video conference. But she didn't think she would have ever predicted her next visit to be under these gloomy circumstances. She might already hate airports, but the place became infinitely more dreary when you were there to see off the coffin of your ex-boyfriend.

Jack's family had actually invited her to Metropolis to come and attend the funeral, but Lena thought she would definitely feel out of place. If you didn't count the last few days, she hadn't seen or talked to Jack in almost two years. She didn't think that her presence would be warranted when his parents and his sister were burying him.

As she stepped out of the airport's main building and got in her car, she could feel an anxious feeling setting on. As Trevor steered the car into the street, she couldn't help but worry why she was acting so calm. This was not normal, was it? When people lost someone that was this close to them, they surely had to be feeling something more? It didn't make any sense. She kept worrying for the entire drive to her office. Even as she stepped out of the vehicle and entered her building, she kept pondering about the absence of more intense feelings. She ignored the worried look Titus gave her, swiftly stepping into her elevator, as she was not in the mood for anyone's pity. The elevator arrived at her floor and Lena stepped out, moving past her assistant's desk.

"Ms. Luthor, are you-"

"I don't want to talk about it, Jess."

She stepped into her office, ignoring her assistant's worried look, and closed the doors behind her before leaning against them and closing her eyes while letting out a long sigh. She had only seen one person be this calm after a tragedy. She had tried everything she could to not be like her, but what if years of assimilation was something she just couldn't overcome? What if she would end up like the rest of her deranged family, whether she wanted to or not? Lena opened her eyes when she heard something familiar.

Someone was humming...

Someone was in her office, humming that one tune by Elvis Presley. She could never remember the name of the song, because he would always just hum it; claiming he was a terrible singer. The humming continued while Lena lifted her head, her expression turning incredulous as she looked towards her desk. Jack was leaning against it... Humming the same tune that Lena had heard so many times when they were still together in Metropolis.

"Jack...?"

The man was already looking at her, smiling widely albeit with sad eyes as she met his gaze. "Hello, Lena."

Lena stood there for a moment, looking at the apparition of Jack Spheer. He was wearing what she remembered being his favourite white suit; a stark contrast to the dark one she'd seen him in earlier, before they'd closed the lid of the coffin. "How... how did you know I would be able to see you?" she asked weakly.

Jack stepped closer and gave her a fond look. "Apparently, you're kind of an urban legend in the ghost world" he explained. "They whisper stories about someone who is able to see them, despite few of them actually believing it. When they mentioned the unparalleled beauty of this mysterious woman, however, I was sure it could only be you." He gave her one of his cheeky smiles, as Lena let out a short chuckle.