Kara Zor-El

"...'cause I can't help falling in love with you."

-

There were four...

There were four abandoned objects lying around the unusually empty building of the DEO. On the ground floor, right in front of the stairs, were both of Lena's high heels. They hadn't been consciously taken off. Lena had just stumbled out of them in her hurry to get up the staircase, miraculously managing to not break her neck, as they'd fallen all the way down to the bottom step.

On the first floor, right in front of the door leading into a long corridor, was Winn's computer bag. It had gotten stuck behind the door handle, right as Winn was about to catch up with the rest of the group, and he'd just wiggled out of the strap before running towards his friends.

A little further along in that same corridor, The Guardian's mask lay abandoned on the floor, right in the spot where James had taken it off after depositing Kara's crimson-drenched body on the gurney.

All these objects were connected with one another. Not just by the owners' panic and fear, but also physically: by the trail of blood that went from the entrance, up the stairs and all the way to the corridor where six people were pushing a gurney towards the med-bay. More accurately; dr. Hamilton and Alex were pushing, while frantically discussing how to get so many shards that were so unbelievably small, out of all those places in Kara's body. Winn was running beside them, trying to come up with suggestions, but he wasn't being of any use in his panicked state. A few feet behind them, James and Maggie were struggling to keep up, as the man was supporting the limping detective by her waist.

On the other side of the gurney Lena was running along in a dazed state, her tears almost dried up, looking at Kara's ragged breaths and increasingly pale skin and green glowing veins while only vaguely registering the discussion that was going on.

This wasn't real. This wasn't actually happening. This couldn't possibly be reality. She was not dying. It was not real. It was not real.

"Alex!"

Alex momentarily stopped and turned around, as dr. Hamilton pushed Kara into the med-bay and Maggie frantically limped closer to her girlfriend, who was visibly shaking. "Alex," Maggie repeated, "you can't go in there... not like this..."

"I- I have to," Alex retorted in an unsteady voice, "she- she's weakened but her biology is still alien, no- nobody knows her as well as I do, I- I have to..."

"But Alex..."

The woman didn't listen anymore, as she stepped after dr. Hamilton and closed the door behind her. Maggie cursed under her breath as she limped towards the door and pushed the handle, apparently finding it locked.

"Alex!" She slammed her hand against the door and tried the handle again but it wouldn't budge. "Alex, open up!" She slammed against the door a few more times, before eventually giving up and turning around, leaning against it and sighing loudly.

Meanwhile, Lena just stood staring at the window of the med-bay, despite the fact that the blinds had just been closed, still with a vacant look in her eyes. As she glanced down towards her left hand that was still covered in Kara's blood, she was feeling numb, her mind incapable to wrap itself around the situation, and barely noticing the voices speaking around her.

"There's no way, man..." Winn muttered, apparently on the verge of tears, "...there's no way they can get all those things out. There's at least a hundred of them... they can't... who knows how deep they went..."

"Hey, hey," James hurriedly stepped away from Maggie and past Lena, as he laid a hand on Winn's shoulder, "don't think like that. They'll manage, you'll see..."