Lionel Luthor - Part III

May 12th 2017       (During and after 2x22)

"Oh, come on!!"

Lena breathed out of her nose in frustration while swatting at the smoke in front of her. Up on Jess's desk sat a fuming laptop, which was now the fourth in a line of PC's that were unable to sustain a connection with the Daxam Drive.

It had taken all night just to get into the damn thing. There was no clear point of connection, and every attempt at attaching any sort of cable or wire to it had been futile. At 5:30 AM, Lena had finally had enough and had started breaking the Drive open. It seemed rather hazardous (which proved to be true, given all the sparks it had given off) but on the inside she had finally found some wirework that seemed fit to connect with human technology, but of course it wasn't that simple. The stack of broken computers on the desk in front of her definitely proved that. 

But she couldn't just give up. Yes, there was a far more human and plausible alternative waiting for her in her office. But if working alongside her mother wasn't bad enough, doing it while knowing that the end result might banish Mon-el from earth forever made it far worse. First she was about to marry him, now she was about to make the atmosphere unbreathable for him. The universe seemed intent on making her the worst friend in the world. Lena was determined to fight against it, however, which is how she ended up working on one impossibly complicated project in her office, while using frequent bathroom breaks as an excuse to work on the more Daxamite-friendly alternative.

Jess was standing beside her, fire extinguisher in hand, and a concerned look on her face. "Well... at least it didn't explode it this time" she said carefully. Lena groaned, rubbing her tired eyes and racking her brain for a solution. 

"Yes, but the power is still unstable. If the high-voltage cables and the transfusor aren't enough to ramp it down then I'm not sure-"

"Hey! Lena!"

"GET BACK! WHO ARE YOU?! WHAT DO YOU WANT?!"

"Jess!" Lena exclaimed. "It's okay! He's a friend!"

Jess froze mid-swing, with the fire extinguisher high over her head, while Winn was crouching on the floor and covering his head with his arms. Lena cleared her throat. 

"Jess, this is my friend, Winn Schott Jr., Winn, this is my assistant Jessica Huang." Winn got up from his crouched position and made an indignant noise, while Jess slowly lowered the fire extinguisher, still glaring unsurely at the man. 

"Really?" Winn drawled, while eyeing the heavy object he'd almost been whacked over the head with. "Don't you mean bodyguard?"

"I multitask" Jess deadpanned.

The two just kept glaring at each other suspiciously. Lena was starting to get uncomfortable, so she spoke up; "Jess, why don't you see if you can get some more laptops from downstairs, and some more of those smaller cables, while you're at it." 

Jess slowly nodded her head, her eyes still locked with Winn. The man was trying his best to match the glare-intensity, but flinched visibly at the sound of the extinguisher dropping to the floor. Jess may have looked a little smug as she walked past him.

"Winn" Lena started, drawing the man's attention, "I'm glad you're okay, but what are you doing here?"

"Oh, Supergirl told us your plan. The FBI sent me to help!"

"Well, it was my mother's plan" Lena grumbled. "So I guess I'm no longer on the FBI's suspicious citizen list?"

"If that list exists, I haven't seen it."