Chapter Four

July 4th, 2016.

It was ironic really.

That it started and ended at the Lake.

That afternoon I spent way too long staring at myself in the mirror waiting for Liv to show up at my house. I kept tugging at the denim mini skirt that showed the bottom of my ass no matter what as if I'd magically make the skirt longer.

Sighing, I walked downstairs to wait for Liv on the couch. Of corse she was late, Liv had to be the center attention all the time.

"Harley Elizabeth Wilson, what on earth are you wearing?" My mother gasped staring at me shocked at my choice, well Livs choice, of an outfit. I mean I was shocked too. The riskiest outfit I'd worn before was a pair of cut-offs and a tank top. Showing my ass before all this? Yeah. Right.

I always tried to please my parents and be the good little girl. Meeting Liv turned me into a bitch.

Liv was a bitch.

"I'm going to a party at the lake remember? Chases' house?"

"Wearing that? Harley, you can practically see everything!"

"I have a bikini on I'm probably not even going to wear this once I'm there," I protested batting her hand away from tugging at the shirt in an attempt to cover more of my stomach.

"Woah where'd the rest of your skirt and shirt go? Bear eat it or something?" My brother asked walking by us, probably high off his ass, in search of food.

"I am wearing something totally appropriate lets all chill," I rolled my eyes before checking my phone to see if Liv texted me.

"Did you just say chill?" my mother asked shocked at my choice of words, "Who are you, Jack?"

That was the first time someone was shocked by how I was behaving. I mean it had only taken two days and Liv had already started changing me from the geek desperate to be seen to the girl I desperately wanted to be.

Suddenly, I heard a car honk and one glance outside confirmed it was Liv in her little blue Audi.

"Gotta go, bye mom love you!" I yelled grabbing my bag and rushing outside.

"Hurry up, I don't have all day, there are shirtless boys waiting!" Liv yelled out the window while honking repeatedly at me.

I climbed into the car as fast as I could which, judging by Liv starting to accelerate before I had even slammed the door, was not fast enough.

"Wow, I did a nice job you actually look hot. I mean, def not as hot as me, try this lip gloss," Liv winked, passing me a tube of ruby red lipgloss while driving. Liv was always driving distracted, it wasn't that she was an unsafe driver– she just would change the station while driving or try to grab things out of the backseat at a red light leading people to honk at her. She never was unsafe enough to kill someone.

Liv's driving was like her personality. She was kind of a bitch, no one really loved Liv, until she was dead. Everyone was too scared to say anything in case she blackmailed them. Even with all her faults, no one hated her. People were just jealous of us and wanted to be us, staring at us longingly. But no one ever hated her enough to kill her. Well, at least that's what I thought. What we all thought.

"So, just so you know when we get there a lot of the guys are kinda. Well, they're kinda fuckboys. Like, be careful some of them just want you to hook up with them in their daddy's cars, so maybe don't get too drunk," Liv rattled on pulling into a mansion by the lake, "Unless you're into that."

"Oh, I wasn't going to get like, drunk. I mean I've never really gotten drunk," I stammered out as we walked towards the backyard. Before becoming friends with Liv I had never tried alcohol. I had no reason to, with Liv and the others. I soon became a pro at jello shots and downing vodka by itself.