Chapter Four

Raindrops dotted the windshield though they were quickly whisked away by the wipers. It was one of those pitch black nights where the moon was less than a sliver so the only light on the road was coming from the headlights of Harry's Range Rover. Gwen was in the passenger seat, softly humming along to Only You from Jake Wesley Rogers. Harry's fingers were threaded through hers, his other hand lightly gripping the wheel.

This was the perfect moment. Every part of it. The evening had been the most magical, with Gwen safely held in Harry's strong arms while he swayed with her back and forth. He could picture it happening for the rest of his life.

And now that they were headed home, Harry couldn't wait to help her out of the beautiful red dress she was wearing, tuck her underneath him and make slow, sweet love to her for the rest of the night.

He lifted her hand to his mouth. She turned her head, letting it fall back to rest on the headrest. A soft smile reached her eyes as they drooped. She was tired, but not enough to end the night before either of them were ready,

"Mr. Styles you are far too charming for your own good sometimes."

Harry laughed through his nose,

"I think that's just because you can't resist my charms."

Her eyes sparkled despite the lack of any light in the car,

"I suppose that's true."

He disentangled his fingers from hers. He reached his hand up to push some hair behind her ear,

"You look tired, My Love."

"I am tired." She responded, her voice low, "But I need to stay awake."

"Why's that? We have a bit until we get home. You can sleep."

She shook her head, her eyes focusing on him intently,

"I need to stay awake until I'm sure you'll be ok."

Harry's eyebrows pulled together in confusion,

"What do you mean, Love? I'm just fine."

She shook her head,

"You're so sad." She whispered.

Harry's smile faded, this conversation was quite different from every other one they'd had. Like there was a note of finality in it,

"Baby, I'm great. Please sleep."

"I loved you, Harry." She said after a beat of silence, "And I know you loved me."

Harry didn't miss the use of past tense verbs in her sentence. He felt his stomach drop and his mouth suddenly watered,

"Gwen..." He whispered. He glanced at the road in front of them. It seemed to get more and more dangerous as he drove. He didn't remember the road to their home being so curvy before. He looked back at her, "Don't leave me." He begged, "Please."

Her nose flared with unshed tears as she lifted her hand to his cheek,

"I didn't want to. I tried so hard. It was just too much."

Harry felt tears sting his nose and his eyes,

"Please, Gwen." He was crying now, "I'm not me without you."

Gwen ran her thumb over his lips,

"I love you and that will never change. And that's why I need you to let me go. I need you to let me go."