Chapter Twenty Nine

Samantha tried her best to calm her nerves while on her tube ride to Harry's house.  But all she could hear was Harry's voice telling her to she wasn't good enough the last time they'd kissed.  She tried to replace that with his voice whispering how stunning she looked last night, but no matter what she did, the other one always broke through.

She took her steps slowly as she walked to his house, watching the cracks pass beneath her feet while people rushed past her.  She'd wanted to text him that morning but she didn't want to seem needy.  And now she was walking into the unknown.

The door looked like it was a mile and a half away when she finally made it to the sidewalk outside of his house even though it was only a few steps.  She visualized in her mind what she would do if he denied her again.  And none of it was pretty.

She took her first step to the door, her heart landing in her feet.  Her hand gripped the front door handle, she didn't even feel like it was hers.

She pushed the door open and waited.  The house was silent.  Her head poked in, she glanced around the front room.  Nothing.

Rufus trotted out from the hallway, cocking his head to the side as he looked at her.  Samantha walked through the front door finally, shaking her head,

"Don't judge me.  Where's your dad?"  She asked as she came through the door.  Rufus simply licked his chops. 

Harry was not home, that much was obvious.  Samantha felt stupid for being so cautious.  Of course he was gone, he went to go and get coffee and muffins just like he did every morning.

Samantha pulled her laptop out and took her seat on the stool at the edge of the island in the kitchen where she always did.  Rufus laid down on the floor next to her.

Samantha tried not to let it bother her that she almost jumped out of her skin when she heard the front door close.  He was home.  Shit.

She kept her eyes glued to her computer.  Maybe if she acted aloof he wouldn't have a reason to get angry with her.  Maybe if she didn't look at him he'd just set the breakfast down and leave her alone.  She was knee deep in her internal meltdown when Harry walked into the kitchen. 

He set down the drink carrier and the bag of muffins and then walked towards her,

"Good morning, Nava."  He said as he pressed a kiss to her temple.

Samantha was nervous, but for a completely different reason now.  She didn't expect this and it made her feel bad that she hadn't expected it.  She knew her face was showing every bit of her trepidation too. 

Harry noticed it, but instead of commenting, he leaned down and pressed his lips to hers, hesitating for a bit before he did it again.  He pulled her up off the stool and into his arms, making sure she knew exactly where his head was.

He pulled away, looking down at her and waiting.  Samantha's eyes opened, a smirk popping up on her face,

"Alright...point taken."

Harry quirked his brows,

"Just being clear."  He popped a kiss to her mouth and then released her from his grasp, "Hey, I'm gonna go downstairs for a little bit...but when I'm done, let's take the fur freak out for a run and grab some lunch."
Samantha nodded,

"Ok."

She watched as he walked towards the basement door, shaking her head when he disappeared.  He was good at making up for his missteps, she had to give him that.

--------------------

Samantha was engrossed in her emails when Harry came back upstairs.  She barely heard him.  She definitely didn't see him when he walked into the kitchen.  He watched her for a bit, waiting for her eyes to meet his over her screen.  When she kept typing away, he walked a little bit closer.  He thought she might look up when she lifted her thumb to chew on her thumbnail but when she didn't, he silently laughed.  He walked around to her backside, his hands sliding around her waist while he tucked his chin into her neck,