Chapter Thirty Three

Samantha's neck and shoulders hurt, the consequences of tensing up just before the other car went careening through the intersection right in to George's passenger side.  She was also covered in soda, the consequences of the car doing a 360 after it hit.  Other than that though, she seemed to be relatively injury free.  She could hear and see George and Mia outside of her room whispering with the doctors, but she was uninterested in the discussion.  She just wanted to go home and take some Aleve.

Mia pushed the curtain back, her worried face making an appearance as she took the seat next to Samantha's bed,

"They say you're alright.  Scanned your head."

"I didn't hit my head."  Samantha grumbled. 

She hated all of this worry over something so minor.  She had been in a car accident before.  George's SUV was built like a tank. 

"Harry should be here soon."

"You called him?"  Samantha asked, slightly shocked.

Mia nodded,

"Of course I did.  We didn't know how serious or not serious it was until we got here."

Samantha sighed, her head hitting the pillow as she let it fall back while her eyes closed.  Again, she just wanted to get home and take some Aleve.  She had things to do.

Mia looked up just as the sounds of the curtain being pulled back wooshed through the room.  Samantha's eyes opened to fall on Harry's very worried face as he stared back at her.  Mia looked between them, slowly rising out of her chair she made some excuse neither of them caught.  She was gone moments later.

Samantha watched as his eyes dropped from hers.  He walked towards her bed.  Samantha could feel the terror on him easily.  He was so tense he looked like he might snap.  When she lifted her hand into his hair, he breathed out a shaky breath and dropped his head,

"God..."  He whispered.

Samantha hadn't even thought about it when Mia said she'd called him.  But Harry must have been losing his mind, his demeanor was all she needed to see that.  This weather, this circumstance, this moment right here was nothing less than a reliving of the worst moment of his life.

Samantha shook her head,

"I'm ok."

Harry reached forward to touch her, not knowing what he wanted to touch first.  He tugged at her scarf,

"Ar-are you alright?"  He stumbled.

"I swear, I'm fine.  My neck and shoulders hurt a little.  That's it."  He breathed out another shaky breath.  She pressed her hand to his cheek, "Look at me, please."  When he reluctantly lifted his eyes to hers, she nodded, "I promise you.  I'm ok, Baby."

He crumbled then, his shoulders shaking into sobs that didn't really turn into tears but deep breaths that seemed to come from deep within.  She stood up from the bed, ready to wrap her arms around his neck and pull him into her when he stepped away, his head shaking,

"Bed.  You have to stay in bed."  He said, sniffing while he forced himself to stop.

Samantha resisted,

"Harry, I'm ok." 

Harry's eyes looked her up and down, scanning her for what, he didn't know.  She looked fine, she sounded fine, she felt fine.  He pulled her towards him, his forehead pressing to hers,

"I'm so sorry about last night, Nava."

She smiled,

"See?  Had to get you to apologize somehow."