Chapter Twelve

Kelly was standing outside his door with his own dog, a big Rottweiler named Titan, when Samantha got to his house. She smiled down at the huge dog knowing full well he was a total sweetheart. She scratched his ears when he nudged her hand,

"Hey Boy..."

Kelly laughed softly,

"Not sure if I should be offended that you said hello to my dog before you said hello to me."

Samantha looked up at him with a light shrug of her shoulders,

"I've always liked the fur babies more than the humans."

Kelly pressed a light kiss to her mouth. He had been trying to keep himself busy all day so he wouldn't keep calling or texting her to find out how Harry had been with her. But now that she was in front of him, he couldn't help it.

He took a breath,

"So? How were things?"
Samantha wasn't sure why her anger was piqued at that question. Maybe it was his tone. Maybe the fact that she knew he didn't agree with her going back to work for Harry. But one thing was for sure, she didn't like it.

She quickly stepped away from him,

"Look, I know you don't agree with me working for him again-"

"Sam-"
"But it's not your decision. I told you I don't want to look for another job. And this one pays really well."

Kelly held up his hands in defense,

"Alright, alright. I'm sorry I brought it up."

Samantha's shoulders slumped,

"I know you don't like him. You don't have to keep saying it."

"It's not that I don't like him. It's that I don't like how he treats you." When Samantha shot him a look he nodded, "Alright, it's a little that I don't like him."
"You don't have to like him. I don't even like him. But he's my boss. Do you like your boss?"
Kelly let out a deep sigh

"Alright. You made your point. I'll keep quiet."

Samantha tugged on his hand,

"I don't need you to watch over me. I know what I'm doing."

Kelly nodded,

"I know you do. Just not sure if he knows what he's doing."

Samantha threaded her fingers through his,

"I thought we were going to dinner. Without Titan."

At the mention of his name, Titan whined. Kelly laughed,

"Well, now he's expecting his own steak."

----------------------------

Samantha expected the usual silence when she entered Harry's house the next morning, however when she heard his voice booming from the kitchen she could already tell it was going to be one of those days. He was angry, though she didn't really know about what. He was swearing every few words, something she was sure he didn't regularly do considering he sort of lowered his voice every time a cuss word passed through his mouth.

Rufus didn't seem alarmed. Samantha was at least happy to see that the dog was lazily walking around the kitchen while Harry's arms raised and lowered in grand gestures of irritation. Rufus seemed nonplussed at best.

Samantha brushed past Harry, slightly pushing him out of the way before she dropped the coffee carrier and every cup in it.

He moved to the side but stayed focused on his phone conversation. Samantha leaned down to scratch Rufus' ears, pressing a kiss to the bridge of his snout,