Chapter Twenty Eight

Samantha tried her best to keep focused on Mia and the spaces they were looking at for her new bakery.  She nodded when Mia asked her questions and she pointed out things she thought might be helpful but by the fifth building, Samantha was just about crawling out of her skin.  All she could think about was Harry's face when she'd left that morning. 

God she was a terrible person. 

He'd done everything she'd asked of him and she still couldn't let go of a few things he'd said and done.  Was she so perfect that she hadn't made mistakes?  She just made a huge one by walking out of the house after Harry had spent his night making sure she was alright.

Samantha felt Mia's arm link through hers as they walked to the next building,

"Are you sure you're up for this?"

"Yeah.  Why?"
"I mean...Tab's birthday was yesterday and I know you are kind of emotional.  If you wanna go home I'll just send you pictures and we can talk about it later."
Samantha shook her head,

"No.  It's alright.  I'm good."

"Sam-"
"Mia, I won't leave you to do this alone.  My emotional state isn't your responsibility.  I'm alright.  Today is about you."  Samantha finished with a smile.

Mia reluctantly agreed, walking into the next building after Mia's Realtor, Nathan, held the door open for them.  Samantha hung back, walking over to the side as she glanced out the front windows while she tried to visualize baked goods in them. 

"Samantha?"  The voice was male and familiar, but not one she could pick out right away, "Samantha?"  He repeated, this time causing Samantha to turn around.

He walked forward, his hand out,

"George.  George James.  Vanessa's fiancee?"
Samantha shook to life as she remembered,

"Oh!  Oh my God...I'm so sorry I didn't recognize you.  How are you?"
"Good."  He answered as he pulled her in for a hug, "It's so good to see you again.  Vanessa and I keep meaning to call Harry and make plans with you guys again."

Samantha pulled back,

"Oh that's alright."

George watched as she suddenly became very stiff.  He could only surmise that Harry's name had upset her though he wasn't sure why.  The last time he'd seen them, everything was fine.  He was about to ask her what was wrong when Nathan called out for him.  He glanced between Mia and Samantha before he turned back towards Mia,

"Yes..."
Samantha did her best to try to calm herself down.  George had obviously noticed something was wrong.  The last thing she needed was him asking any questions about Harry, though it was pretty much a guarantee he was going to once they were left alone which was going to happen sooner rather than later.  Mia and Nathan thanked George before turning and walking towards the back of the space.

George walked back towards Samantha,

"Samantha?"  He asked, knowing full well she'd turned her back on him on purpose.  She reluctantly turned to face him.

George took a breath,

"Are you alright?"
Samantha nodded,

"Yeah.  Yes.  Yeah."  Her voice was high, indicating that not only was she lying but that she was an idiot.  She closed her mouth and dropped her eyes, shaking her head in disgust.

George folded his arms in front of him,

"Ah...so...Harry strikes again."

Samantha's head snapped up as she looked at him,