Chapter 9

"Hi, I saw the ad for requirement of a Fashion Designer. Whom should I contact?".I asked the man in the booth and inturn he greeted me and handed me a small card. It was a business card.

It read "Rajendran, Arjun CEO Rama group of Companies, Thailand & India". Behind it was a couple of contact details.

   "Arjun". I wondered South Indian for sure. Without hesitation I dialed one of the contact numbers. It ringed. On the second ring I heard a voice call  out.

   "Hello". The same voice. "Hello". He said again.

  "Hello". I replied. There was a pause.

   "Yes". He said.

   "Huh. Good morning. May I speak to Mr.Arjun Rajendran please?". I knew it was him. Arjun. His name is Arjun.

   "Speaking. And may I know who is on the other line?". He knows. He knows it is me. He is just fishing.

   "This is Sashi. I saw an ad for a  Fashion Designer vacancy in Central world mall". I hesitate. "I wish to apply for the same".

   After a beat. "I'll be sending an address to you. Will you be able to come for a personal interview at the earliest?". He speaks so fast.

   "Yeah. Would today be fine?". I question him back.

   "Time?". Without a beat he asks.

    "Five?".

    "Five then". He says.

    "Till then. Thank you". I reply.

    Then I just hear a hum and then the line goes dead.

"It's like one of those Hollywood Bollywood movies in which it's always a fairytale story of the prince and princess". I talk on the phone to Sarah about the trip and the mall. "The mall was such a set Picy it almost had everything you'll need to shoot a movie or a drama".

"So did you find your Prince charming yet?". She asks. I sigh.

"Even if I did he'd just run only to find a better one than me". I say bluntly.

"Stop this nonsense with your low self esteem idiot. Sashi grow up. You can't just say ok to a guy you just meet for the time of an instant coffee". She sighs. I'm sure she's rolling her eyes now. "You are not like me Sashi. Your parents are different, they would understand you better. The are not like my parents Sashi".

  "But my parents are still not like others more socialized parents Picy. They will not accept love marriage and that too not an intercaste marriage. Never".

"But how can you conclude without consulting them?".

"Stop with this debate Picy. We're done with it months ago". I spit out.

"Yeah well when you got your last proposal. What was his name?". She's fishing me.

"Aasish". I say with a giggle.

"Yeah. Aasish. Sashi. Nice pair huh!". She laughs.

Her laugh is contagious. I start to laugh as well. She's better in understanding me than myself sometimes.

"Ok. Now no beating around the bush. Did you get a good dose of eyetonic?!". She's picking me again. I just thought of him. But I just shake the thought away. I feel stress-free when I talk to her.