Chapter 21

"Congratulations Ms.Sashi". He said. "I didn't think you would be able to do it". He stated looking out the window. I am in his cabin for the past half an hour. He did not even look at me, yet. We were discussing about the collaboration project with Bangladesh  stitching industry for bulk orders with the Merchandising and Designing teams. I met the Merchandising team leader Mr.Supreeth and we were talking about everything in detail.

   "Thank you. That's why I did it". I stated.

  "Well. It wouldn't have been tough for a person like you. Was it?". What was that?

   "Person like me? What do you mean by that, sir?".

  "Arjun is fine Ms.Sashi". He turned to face me. "A person from a background like yours. It will be easy for you to make a client like that to persuade easily and accept your decision as his". He looked directly into my eyes.

  "Well yeah. Being a person from a background like mine, I can understand what the other person sitting opposite to me expects and thinks. I can clearly get a picture of a person's character by the way they communicate and that is with not just words". I stared at him. "Unlike you, who is born with a silver spoon and grew with rainbows you can't understand a common man's perspective as simple as people like me do, Sir". I said.

   "Arjun it is, Sashi. And not everyone who are born to rich parents see rainbows and fairytales all the time. You can't tell it like it's some boon to be rich ".

   "Now you get that right. You can't judge a person by their status or background. A person's talent is in born Mr.Arjun and it's their own effort and hard work that is paid as a  price to achieve something. Not just sheer luck or persuasion". I yelled. Literally, I'm loosing it.

   He looked straight into my eyes. I did the same. Two charcoal black eyes boring into mine. I won't ever give up. I didn't blink an eye.

   He smiled. "Congratulations Sashi. You get the job". What???

    "What? Is this a joke? I already joined the job and it's been a week nearly". I said bewildered.

  "It's our company's ritual to conduct a test to check on our employees before confirmation of their job. Just to check their ability to take control on stressful situations. Well, you passed it". He handed me an envelope.

   I was dumbfounded. I took the envelope. "So this is my Real Appointment letter, right? What if I didn't pass this test?". I questioned.

   "We would have sent you back home". He said casually.

   What kind of a company does this? I have not worked abroad before but I've never heard of such a system. "Anything else Sashi?". He asked. A small smirk on his face.

   I don't know what to say actually. I should be angry, very much. But I don't know what I am feeling right now. I just left the room with a confused look.