Chapter 18

"Maya wake up. It's 7:30am" Keith said and I hummed as I pulled the comforter closer to keep the cold air from the AC from hitting my naked flesh. I could tell it was Keith because I knew his voice and his body scent but I was too disoriented to understand what he was saying.

"Come on. You have to get ready." he said and I turned onto my back and opened my tired eyes only to see them looking right back at me from the mirror on the ceiling. Yes, there was a large mirror attached to the mirror and it was the newest addition to the things in the room. Keith had decided that he wanted a mirror up there because watching us go at it will be better than watching a live interracial porn. His words not mine. I had been embarrassed at first but got used to the idea after a while.

Looking into the green eyes that were watching me with amusement in them, I rolled over and snuggled into my pillows some more.

"Maya you have to get ready."

I was too tired to talk so I just hummed and my eyes slid close again.

"For your last paper." he finally completed. I shot up immediately I heard him and suddenly felt lightheaded.

"Whoa. Slow down. You're not yet late." he said as I tried to calm my pounding heart. My exam was by 12noon.

"Are you okay now?" he asked and I nodded.

"No more fears?" He asked again and my face broke into a smile as I shook my head. 

"No more fears. Thank you again,  for last night." I said shyly. That night,  I had an episode. The stress finally got to me.  I was sleep-deprived and stressed and I felt I wasn't ready for that course even though I had read for it more than the other courses. I just broke down and started crying. It was supposed to be a silent crying session because I tried holding myself together but I just felt so overwhelmed I fell apart and the sound woke Keith up.

"What is it?" he asked sleepily.

"I'm going to fail. I already know I'm going to fail. I've never failed anything school related and now I'm going to have an extra year because of an outstanding course."

Pulling me into a hug,  he asked if I had been reading and I nodded but said I couldn't remember what I read. He tugged at my hand and I stood up and followed him to the bed,  a crying mess.

"When did you wake up from the short nap you took after dinner?"

"An hour later. That was 10pm."

"It's 4am now Maya. You need to sleep."

"I can't. There's just so much to read."

"No there isn't. Sleep and wake up and revise. Everything will come back to you at the much needed time.  You can't remember now because you're tensed up. Now,  sleep."

I sniffled and closed my eyes and after a whole one minute, my trembling fingers reached up to wipe the tears that snaked down my cheeks again. I was too scared to sleep. He sighed beside me before getting up to leave the room. I felt worse because I thought he  just left his room for me since I was such a mess. About 5 minutes later,  he came back up and gave me a glass of milk before reaching up to rub my tense shoulders.

"Pull off your shirt." he said as he reached into the bedside drawer for the body oil he usually keeps in there. I did as I was told and laid down and he gave me a massage that put me to sleep within thirty minutes since I was so tired. I had never felt such gratitude towards someone before.

Rolling out of bed, I ran into the bathroom to shower quickly and went back to my room to get something to wear. I dressed up within 10 minutes and went back to his room for the books on the table. I went downstairs and saw him putting the sandwiches he made in a ziplock bag.