Chapter 25

"Maya come on. It's almost time." Keith said from the door,  making me glare at him. It was time for another check up and I was not in the mood to leave the house. At 30 weeks, my backache had gone from bad to worse and let's not talk about my embarrassing bathroom accidents. Laughing, sneezing, coughing  all these I couldn't do without leaking and it was so embarrassing I wanted to die every time it happened to me in public.

"Why are you here? I can find my way to my obstetrician's office thank you very much." I growled as I carefully made my way to the edge of my bed. If I was being honest with myself, I'd admit that it was a difficult pregnancy. Morning sickness had not hit me badly but the other effects were taking their toll on me. And my mood was something else. Some days I was very happy. Some tired, some angry, some in pain.

Keith had become something close to a permanent fixture in my dad's house. He was always there. After telling him to stay away and having him come back over and over again, I got tired and stopped.

When I finally got to the edge of the bed, standing up became a war. I was embarrassed because he was right there in the room and flipping through some book. I was happy he wasn't watching because I was embarrassed at the fact that I couldn't do something as basic as standing up without needing help or struggling to do it on my own. Let's not talk about how large my stomach had become. It was so huge it was scary, and I had like a gazillion new stretch marks.

I was irritated. I couldn't see beyond my stomach to look for my slippers, so I had to search for them with my toes by feeling around for them. After trying and not succeeding and feeling tired, I just laid back down, closed my eyes and waited for the mental strength to continue. I refused to ask Keith for help. I wanted him to see that I didn't need his help with that and that I could stay by myself and he didn't need to check on me every single time.

My eyes flew open when I felt warm fingers massaging my feet and slid close again because it was just beautiful. When he finished doing that to both feet, he helped me put on the slippers he found and pulled me up into a sitting position. 

"You should have just called me." he said as he tried pulling me up completely.

"Why would I have done that when I don't want to be around you?" I asked while glaring at him and he chuckled before saying "Pregnancy sure brings out the mean and aggressive side of you."

"Or maybe I'm naturally an aggressive person." I replied.

"Nope. You're the sweetest person I've ever met."

"And that gave you the means to walk all over me like trash." I replied and at that, he fell silent and just continued doing what he was doing. A moment later,  he muttered "That was a long time ago."

"It wasn't even up to a year ago. You even hurt me badly last month by making me sign papers I didn't want to sign. I still remember it like yesterday. Leave me alone. Your fingers are starting to feel like nails on my skin." I replied, whispering the last part. Hurting him hurt me because I did not like it and didn't want to do it but I really wanted him to stop trying and to finally leave me alone, not because I no longer loved him but because I didn't want to risk having him hurt me again, and I definitely wouldn't want to risk having my children grow up in a toxic environment where their parents disliked each other. 

He didn't say anything else after my harsh words, just pulled me up before leaving to open the door for me. 

The tension between us in the car was unbelievable. It had never been that bad before. Neither of us made an attempt to talk. My phone rang and it was Jason. It had been a while since I last saw him. 

"Hey Jason." I said and watched Keith's jaw and his  grip on the steering wheel tighten. I just carried on with my conversation. "No. Not now. I'm going to see my doctor...Yes I'm fine, there's nothing wrong, just the regular checkup. I'll let you know when I get back so we can do the video call thing. Alright then. Bye."