Second Night

Solomon's Purgatory:

Chapter 2:

Ciel didn't have time to digest the full impact of the boy bleeding on the snow turning out to be the person he had been waiting to see all afternoon as he heard quick footsteps approaching. He was relieved to see two people he recognised come out the darkness dressed in thick coats.

The blue house prefect and his cousin.

"Phantomhive, what's going on?" Bluewer asked sharply. "Midford said he saw something strange out his window."

Edward was faster on the uptake and came to crouch on the melting snow next to him. Ciel didn't bother to swap pleasantries with his cousin, there were more important things to worry about.

"Have you called an ambulance?" he asked urgently.

"I did," Ciel confirmed. "I have to stay here and not move him."

Bluewer read the nametag on Sebastian's jacket and sighed heavily.

"I need to get the housemaster," he said and hurried back into the building.

This left Edward and Ciel to watch over Sebastian. Ciel kept his fingers on his pulse and began to get concerned when it became even more erratic.

Edward moved Sebastian's dark hair out the way to reveal his pale and bloodstained face. As he did so Sebastian's visible eye fluttered open briefly and locked gazes with Ciel. His mouth twitched like he was about to speak and then his eye closed slowly.

"Did you see where he fell from?" Edward questioned. "It can't have been the clock tower- he would be dead."

Ciel looked up again at the roof that corresponded with where Sebastian was lying outstretched. If he remembered his tour correctly, it was the roof over the science block. It wasn't the highest roof, as Edward had said, that was the clock tower. The thick layer of snow had prevented him from dying instantly. If the ambulance didn't arrive soon, Sebastian might pass away right in front him. He thought of how long it had taken him to get to the school and winced.

"I can't believe it's happened again," Edward muttered.

Ciel looked sharply at him. He was about to ask when he heard the faint sound of a siren. It was hard to hear due to the loud wind and the snow buffeting his ears, but he was sure he could hear something.

"It's on the road behind the school," his cousin explained. "The road loops around, it should be here in five minutes."

The prediction turned out to be correct. Sebastian's unconscious form was taken away by paramedics and a police car arrived soon after. This drew a crowd of pupils from different houses in various states of dress outside in the cold.

The students were in varied states of shock. There were three figures at the back watching the proceedings with stony faces. The younger pupils were whispering eagerly. Ciel was only able to catch fragments whilst he was waiting for the police to speak with him.

"It's happened again..."

"....said it would be him next..."

"...it was going to happen sooner rather than later..."

It appeared that Sebastian was not the first student to be found dying in the snow. Ciel made a mental note to interrogate his cousin later. Edward wasn't fond of him, but he wasn't the type to lie either.

***

An hour later found Ciel being half dragged to the canteen by the four house prefects. By now it was half seven and he was feeling the strain and the cold. He had given a statement to the police and to the housemaster. The canteen was mostly empty as everyone was either still outside gossiping or returned to their rooms.