Sixth Night

Solomon's Purgatory:

Chapter 6:

"What does the Pudding Club do?" Ciel asked.

It had to be something related to Harcourt's death and Sebastian's near death. It sounded innocuous but there had to be something strange about it for Sebastian to have concealed the notebook in his pillow rather keeping it somewhere more open.

"They eat pudding," his father stated simply. "One member chooses one to eat, someone makes it for the next meeting, they eat it and they all discuss and evaluate it. Then it repeats with a different member. That's the normal part of it at least. I know that the inner sect was for something completely different and much less innocent. I wasn't aware of it though."

The normal operations of the pudding club sounded like something Ciel would actually enjoy being a part of. The recipes in the hidden notebook had to be the ones that were critically analysed at the meetings.

"I appreciate the information," Ciel said. "I have to revise now. Bye."

He put the phone down and sighed in satisfaction. He had gained a new pair of boots, the promise of future chocolate and most importantly, identification of the secret society. It was a shame his father hadn't known much about the inner sect.

Should he join the pudding club? It was wouldn't be unnatural if he did because he did like his desserts. It wasn't like his father would find out. He looked through the recipe book again and his stomach rumbled when he saw the drawings of all the puddings. Due to Sebastian's fall the previous night and his meeting with Mey-Rin he hadn't yet had a chance to sample any of the desserts in the canteen.

His mind flashed back to his tour of Weston College given by Bluewer. He had said the desserts were good. Was that referring to the pudding club rather than the actual canteen? Then again desserts and pudding weren't quite the same thing.

He considered Bluewer as a potential murder suspect. Bluewer and Edward had joined him a few minutes after he'd found Sebastian and seen the person on the roof. Had Bluewer had enough time to run down, encounter Edward who'd said he'd seen something and then discover Sebastian's unconscious body in the space of a few minutes? He hadn't seemed too out of breath.

It seemed that he would have to test the times. The other prefects had turned up later so they could have been on the roof. There was of the course, the potential that it was not the prefects, that it was someone else he hadn't come into contact with yet.

What he needed to do next is to find out who was in the pudding club. If the prefects were members, they were even more likely to be the ones on the roof.

He also needed to keep an eye on the cat situation. Their disappearance was disconcerting mostly because it meant that someone had seen him in the canteen and used that time to enter his room and remove the cats.

His heart skipped a beat when he realised that his clandestine meeting with Mey-Rin might have also been witnessed as well. Hopefully if anyone had seen it, they would have assumed it was of the romantic nature.

***

The bright sunlight shining through the curtains was what woke Ciel up the next morning. He peered out the window to see if it was still snowing and was cheered to find that it wasn't, although there was still a thick layer of snow on the ground.

No one had crept into his room in the middle of the night and he'd actually slept. His aim for the morning was to find Wordsmith and express an interest in clubs. If all went to plan, he would be told about the Pudding Club and Wordsmith should mention some of the members which would give him some starting points for investigation.