Eighteenth Night

Solomon's Purgatory:

Chapter 18:

Mey-Rin and Finny turned to look at him expectantly. 

"Who is it then?" Finny enquired eagerly. 

Ciel was all too keen to explain. This had always been his favourite part of the mystery stories he read, now he had an opportunity to show off his own mystery solving abilities.

"It's Derrick Arden of course. As you said, Clayton isn't overly popular with other students. Whilst he's clever and influential, he's not that well liked himself. Harcourt never told Sebastian about him. If it was Clayton he would have told him there and then. Instead he kept quiet so it had to be someone that was well liked and he respected. It has to be Derrick Arden."

His listeners exchanged looks and then nodded.

"It does make sense," Mey-Rin agreed. "There's not much proof though. Clayton could have just threatened Harcourt to keep quiet."

Ciel was glad that Mey-Rin was sharp enough to pick up that it was all still a theory. He liked to think that she was learning and not wanting to defend Arden just because he was good looking.

"He's a dedicated member of the Drama Club whereas Clayton rarely turns up and didn't look that invested in the Pudding Club either. The observer has to be a member of both clubs and the past prefects wouldn't have picked someone with poor attendance and no enthusiasm for both clubs," he explained.

Mey-Rin still looked skeptical.

"Do you have any other proof?" she questioned.

"No," Ciel admitted. "I need to talk to Sebastian about it."

"You can do it now," she replied looking suspiciously eager.

Finny nudged her again and Ciel rolled his eyes. At some point he would have to ask Sebastian what was going on between him and Mey-Rin. She did have a point despite her ulterior motives. The best person to ask for clarification was Sebastian and he needed to tell him about his initiation to the Pudding Club.

"Hello," Sebastian said silkily once he had picked up.

Ciel was ready to roll his eyes and then he saw that Mey-Rin looked like she had the early signs of a nosebleed. Was she okay?

"Hello. I have a few things to say, I'm now a full member of the Pudding Club and I think I know who the observer is."

It five minutes to get Sebastian up to date with events at Weston College.

"So, people think you look good in a blindfold and want you to join the dating club. I told you that you should never join," Sebastian said smugly. "I hope you appreciate that."

Ciel blinked. He had been expecting Sebastian to be more concerned about everything else he had told him not that one small detail he mentioned.

"Is that all you took from what I just told you?"

"I got everything else. You need to resolve everything before you get pulled in any deeper," Sebastian summarised neatly.

"Can't he go to the police with the evidence he has?" Finny asked. "That would be the proper way to end this."

It had been a possibility once he had his hands on the four folders detailing the history of the secret society and the record of drugs but he had dismissed it after a moment of consideration.

"It's circumstantial evidence," he explained. "It isn't believable on its own. If they got charged by the Police, the charge wouldn't stick and we would all be in danger later on. I picked up some of the used syringes as well, however that doesn't prove much either. It could get blamed on someone else."