Ninth Night

Solomon's Purgatory:

Chapter 9:

"Where is the old canteen?" Ciel asked.

He did remember it being mentioned on his tour. Bluewer had said it was out of bounds and anyone caught trespassing would get worse than a detention. Based on that and what Finny had said, it had to be the right place.

He was keen to explore as soon as possible. The longer he left investigating it, the more pupils were going to return to school and it was going to be easier to get caught investigating. The Pudding Club would probably meet on a weekday rather than the weekend and he wanted to go there when it was certain that they weren't going to be meeting there.

"It's the separate building behind the humanities department. It closed down because of Bardroy," Mey-Rin explained.

All Ciel knew about Bardroy's past work incidents was the food poisoning one. That shouldn't warrant building a new canteen.

"What happened?"

Finny sighed heavily. "His flamethrower did. He always protests that he had the situation under control and the fire wasn't that bad. Apparently, it wasn't need a whole new building bad."

"I see," Ciel said doubtfully. "Why is it still there then?"

It did seem strange to keep a fire damaged building around that might collapse at any time. Then again, if the heating and plumbing had never been updated it wouldn't seem like a stretch that they would keep the old building.

"The old canteen was much bigger than the current one and had different areas. The school board are constantly discussing converting it into something else or having it demolished," Mey-Rin told him. "For a while they were planning on making into a recreational area, then someone else said it was too modern and that's why nothing's happening."

That description of the school board sounded realistic to Ciel. It explained why everything seemed to be stuck in the past.

"What parts of it remain structurally sound?" Ciel asked.

He might get a clue as to what it was actually being used for.

"The kitchen at the back is completely gone," Finny said. "The nearest seating area as well. The toilets were fine because they were on the opposite side. The cluster of sofas by the door are fine as well. That's all I can tell you."

"The fire happened two years ago so some of the building might have deteriorated afterwards," Mey-Rin added.

It did sound like the perfect place for a secret society to meet. It was out of sight, parts of it were still useable and people assumed that it was too dilapidated to enter.

"It must be freezing in there," Finny said with a shiver.

Ciel was in agreement. Either the secret society wrapped themselves up with blankets and heat packs or what they were doing was more important than the temperature.

Mey-Rin picked up a fairy cake and munched on it thoughtfully.

"What could they be doing in there?" she asked out loud.

"It's the inner sect of the Pudding Club," Ciel told her. "Did you make the cakes?"

He wasn't sure about eating cake that might have been made by Bardroy. They looked simple enough: plain cake with glacé icing and sugar strands. Cake was a low risk product for food poisoning, but he was unwilling to chance it. It would be ironic if it was Bardroy's cooking that defeated him rather than the prefects.