Final Night

Solomon's Purgatory:

Chapter 20:

Ciel didn't wake up pleasantly. His mouth was parched and he could barely breathe and his vision was blurred. It took him a while to realise that he was wearing an oxygen mask and there was someone that looked like a doctor leaning over him. He relaxed a little when he realised that if there was a doctor looking after him, he had to be safe from Derrick Arden.

He tried to ask what happened, but his mouth wasn't able to make any sound.

"You're safe now," the doctor told him kindly. He said something else that Ciel couldn't make out.

Ciel tried to nod and fell asleep in the process. When he woke up again he thought he was alone until he saw a nurse. This time he felt more alert and there wasn't an oxygen mask.

"Are you feeling better now?" she asked. "You can start having visitors in a couple of days. There's lots of people keen to visit you. I'm going to get the doctor to explain everything to you."

She left quickly, leaving Ciel to adjust to his surroundings. He was indeed in a hospital room, a private one at that. He was definitely alive, his painful throat attested to that. How was he still alive and what had happened to Derrick Arden and the prefects?

The most burning question he had for the doctor was if he now had a drug addiction. They had given him deliberately high doses of two of the most addictive drugs. Even though he was alive he might still have serious aftereffects from it.

His worried thoughts were interrupted by the arrival of the doctor who he recognised from earlier.

"He's more awake now," the doctor stated the obvious.

The next thirty minutes were filled with tests. From the lack of genuine worry about the results, Ciel began to hope that he was indeed fine after nearly dying.

"You probably want some details about what happened. You were pulled out the water before your brain lost oxygen so there isn't any damage to your brain. As for the drugs, you will be observed for any signs of withdrawal symptoms and you will be given the appropriate medication if you show any signs. We pumped your stomach and you will certainly feel nauseous for a few days."

Ciel nodded weakly. He felt that he was mentally okay. He didn't remember much after he'd been infected with the drugs. It was probably for the best.

***

"There's someone outside that's very keen to see you," the nurse said the next day. "He's been waiting eagerly."

"Who's that?" Ciel asked with a strained voice.

It could be anyone from Wordsmith to Finny. It could even be McMillan wanting to apologise for stealing his phone.

The nurse grinned at him and winked broadly.

"Sebastian of course."

The fact that Sebastian was still at the same hospital had completely slipped his mind. He hadn't thought of Sebastian since he had woken up. His headache and odd feeling in his stomach had distracted him from everything.

"Is he allowed to visit yet?" he enquired.

"Your parents are coming later this morning so you can fit him in first," she explained. "You can introduce your boyfriend to your parents then."

Ciel stared at her for a few seconds. Had he heard her right?

"He's not my boyfriend. I only met him a few days ago."

The nurse looked confused. Something had to had given her the impression that he was romantically involved with Sebastian.

"He told me you were going out."