Twelfth Night

Solomon's Purgatory:

Chapter 12:

"Please may I come with you?" Ciel requested politely. "I've been worrying about Sebastian a lot."

Wordsmith looked down at him and Ciel stuck out his lower lip so he looked openly worried. It was probably going to take a lot to persuade Wordsmith to take him considering that he had never properly met Sebastian. It took five seconds of manipulation for Wordsmith to relent.

"You can come with me, but if the doctor says that he wants to speak in private, you have to stay outside. Be careful about talking to Sebastian as well, he's technically never met you," he warned.

Ciel understood. He didn't know that much about head injuries and waking up from comas however, he knew that Sebastian would be disconcerted by him asking questions about the secret society considering that they had never formally met. He would have to be careful about how he asked.

On the car ride to the hospital Wordsmith started asking about his application to the Pudding Club. Ciel answered evasively before remembering that he did have a few questions that Wordsmith could answer.

"Drug taking is a problem at all schools, how does Weston College deal with it?" he enquired formally like he was part of a debate team.

Wordsmith took his gaze off the road to give him a confused look and then had to brake suddenly at the roundabout.

"That's an odd question to ask. I wasn't aware that Weston College had any drug problems amongst students," he answered after they had passed the roundabout. "I've only been working here for just over a year though."

In some ways talking to Wordsmith was just as bad as asking McMillan. Wordsmith thought everyone was well behaved and trusted everyone whereas McMillan was more in denial that everything was all right. He moved onto another area.

"How do you discipline pupils? It's not in the handbook."

Wordsmith nodded approvingly.

"That's a good question. There has never actually been a student expelled in the history of Weston College."

Ciel was momentarily surprised by that fact until he remembered the types of pupils attending. Most people's parents were rich or influential enough to ensure their children wouldn't get kicked out.

"No one gets caned either. Punishments are left up to the prefects and housemaster. I haven't had to punish anyone yet," Wordsmith admitted. "I threatened a student with cleaning the toilets using a toothbrush once last year though."

That probably hadn't gone down well with whoever it was. His mind flashed back to something Bluewer had said the old canteen. 'Anyone caught gets worse than a detention'. It likely meant anyone they caught would end up like Sebastian which was interesting because Sebastian hadn't been pushed off the roof at the time.

"What happened after that?"

His housemaster smiled ruefully. "He complained to his parents who in turn complained to the head master who told me off. Fortunately, no one seems to break the rules so I haven't had to make another decision like that."

Strangely enough Ciel could think of a lot of rule breaking that was going on at Weston College under his nose. Even he had broken the rules by going out of curfew and entering a restricted area. If that had escaped Wordsmith's notice, it had to have been easy for the secret society to sneak out and take drugs.

Wordsmith pulled into the hospital and the next ten minutes were occupied by trying to find a parking space. After that he followed Wordsmith into the main building and to the Critical Care ward.