Fifteenth Night

Solomon's Purgatory:

Chapter 15:

Was it a coincidence that he had met Violet in the library or had the prefect been keeping a close eye on him? Violet had to have been observing him to have known when to take the cats and bring them back without being caught.

The mention of keeping his door unlocked had also allowed Ciel to realise that Violet had predicted his future actions. Whilst it did make things easier for him, it did suggest that the other prefects could be thinking along the same lines.

What he really needed to do was overhear another top-secret conversation, however he was lucky the last time for two reasons. One, that they were actually talking about him and two, he didn't get caught.

He couldn't risk it a second time.

Ciel put that matter aside sat down at a table with the books. He started with the books about the school's history as he only knew basic facts about the school. The oldest one smelt extremely mouldy and was falling apart and he didn't get much from it. The Pudding Club was mentioned and the description wasn't different from what McMillan had told him. He moved onto the one that had been published in the sixties. It had a mention of traditionally poor treatment of scholarship students being related to 'ingrained snob mentality'. Ciel raised his eyebrows, that was one way of putting it. The third book had what he was looking for.

'There are two secret societies, both unsupervised by teachers. Both take care of areas of life that the teachers would be unwilling to acknowledge. Instead the secret societies are presided over by the four prefects. If any of the prefects are unhappy with the secret societies they have no choice in the matter as tradition dictates that they must carry out their duties or lose the desired position.'

It was as he had guessed. Violet had no choice, but to go along with it or stop being a prefect. He read the next paragraph and realised that there was another layer to the secret society.

'To ensure tradition is preserved, the highest-ranking pupil who is not a prefect is to be a member of both clubs and watch over the prefects in case one or all of them rebel.'

It made sense. The secret society could be brought down if all the prefects were against it and took the information to the Police. If the tradition of having a supervisory member was still going, he had another nemesis. He was willing to bet that it still was.

He needed to find out who the highest-ranking pupil was. That either meant the highest title or best connected. The current prime minster didn't have any children so that avenue was out.

With that in mind he moved onto the drugs book. He could ask other people who the highest-ranking pupil was, it wasn't something he could find out in the library. He opened the book up and found the borrowing sheet. It was fortunate that Weston College hadn't updated to a computerised system and still used a list of stamped dates and handwritten initials and surnames.

It was quite a well borrowed book. There was a stack of sheets stapled onto the page. Ciel checked the names for the last three months of 2017 as that would have been when the prefects changed and new people were added to the society. The first names were a familiar set of names.

The four prefects had borrowed the book first, then it was Clayton, Cole, Cheslock, Arden and some other names. Harcourt had also borrowed the book a while later and the last name was Sebastian's.

It appeared that he had a list of secret society members with the exception of Sebastian. The other names had been mentioned as members of the Pudding Club before. Some of the names were familiar. He'd encountered a few at some social events. Maurice Cole was a bitchy blond as far as he remembered and Clayton wore glasses and didn't have much personality.