Chapter One.

Simon's POV:

Nanny Wilder ran into my office screaming, then she broke down into tears.

"I QUIT! The littlest is dead. The older ones killed her. They threw her off the roof." She said between sobs.

I tsked, then her words sunk in; Zaira is dead. I ran back through the village, down the road through the forest, and into the house. I heard cheering from upstairs. I crept upstairs, and to the playroom door. I opened the door a crack, and peeked in. Colin was reading, Ophelia and Tatiana were playing My Aunty Anna, and Thomas was celebrating. Liam now came into view, running with his arms above his head, holding Zaira's favourite doll.

"Lee, give it back!" I heard Zaira say as she ran after him with a cricket bat.

I opened the door, and everyone stopped what they were doing. Zaira took this chance and snatched her doll back from Liam.

"Why did Nanny Wilder come into my office saying that you lot threw Zaira off the roof!" I ask the children.

I walked into the middle of the room, and looked at Zaira. She usually tells me why straight away. Zaira looked at Liam, who looked at Ophelia, who looked at Tatiana, who looked at Colin, who looked at Thomas. I crossed my arms across my chest, and waited for an explanation.

"Well, it wasn't my fault! She treated us horribly, so we decided to get rid of her." Thomas stated, and I sighed in annoyance.

Belle, our scullery maid came into the playroom.

"Well guess what? You are all to go to bed right away!" I shouted, that being the best punishment I could come up with.

Curse Father for being a pushover!

"What about supper?" Zaira asked, now eating strawberry jam out of a jar.

"Without supper." I replied, then turned around.

"I'm going to see if there's any more Nannies." I mumbled as I walked past Belle.

She nodded, and started scolding the kids. I walked through the forest, and through town.

I trudged up to the door of the agency, but a croaky voice stated, "We're closed!"

Then, a veiny hand flipped the sign so it no longer showed 'Open', it showed 'Closed'.

"But!—" I tried to protest, but the manager of the agency cut me off, "—You've had your lot! There are no. More. Nannies!"

Then, she pulled the blinds down.

I turned around to walk away, then the mail slot opened.

"The person you need is Nanny Johnson." It whispered.

I shrugged, and walked back home in the dark. I heard the children yelling just before I opened the front door. I remembered that Angela McPhee was staying the Johnson's house in town. I ran back the way I came, and up to the Johnson's front door. I knocked on the door, and Elizabeth Johnson, Norman Johnson's Mother, opened the door.

"I need to see Angela." I said, and Angela came up to the door. "Oh, thank goodness. There are no more Nannies at the agency an-"

"I'm not working as a Nanny anymore." She stated, and I nodded.

"But I do know of a Nanny that is as good as me. Her name is Nanny Johnson, and she should be at your house soon." She continued, and I pulled her into a hug.

"Thank you Angela. You're a life saver." I muttered, then pulled away from the hug.

"Hmm." She replied with a nod.