Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

            Preston woke up the next morning to find Robert snuggling with him and still in bed. Preston looked at the clock and saw it was nine in the morning. Robert rarely ever slept late, he must be tired if he was still in bed. Preston carefully wiggled out of Robert’s arm and rolled out of bed to walk to the bathroom. Preston took a quick shower and got dressed in the spare clothes he kept at Robert’s house. When he walked out of the bathroom he saw that Robert was still asleep in the same position he had left him in. he walks over the bed, he was about to wake him but stops. He looked at Robert’s face and saw he had been crying last night. He felt bad that he hadn’t heard him. He knew it was going to take Robert a long time to get over Chloe’s death. He knew Robert was going to blame himself for it too. Preston decided to let him sleep and went downstairs, to see if anyone else was up. He walked into the kitchen and found Robert’s parents having a cup of coffee.

            “Morning Tanya and Cristian how are you two this morning?” Preston asked as he poured himself a cup of coffee and joined them at the table.

            “Morning Preston, we are doing fine what about you?” Tanya asked as she passed him the plate of cinnamon rolls.

            “I’m fine, just worried about Robert. He is taking it real hard about Chloe’s death and I think he blames himself about it.”

            “I know what you mean, that boy is going to make himself sick. Good thing he has you to help him through this.” Cristian said and Preston nodded his head. “God he must be taking it hard if he is still asleep, I have never known that boy to sleep late.”

            “Yeah I was going to wake him, but he looked so peaceful sleeping.”

“That’s good he needs all the sleep he can get.” Tanya added. “What time did your mom want us all over there for dinner?”

            “Um she wants everyone there at five; in fact I should go home. I know she is going to need help, I don’t know how much Robert got to help out yesterday.” Preston said as he got up and placed his cup in the sink to wash it, but was stopped.

            “Leave it there I’ll get it later. So do you want one of us to give you a ride, no never mind just take Robert’s car he won’t mind.” Cristian said.

            “Ok thanks and I will see you guys later, tell Robert I’m sorry for not waiting until he woke up.”

            “We will and we will see you later.” Tanya said. Preston grabbed Robert’s keys off the hook and went out to the car to head home. Preston walked in the house and headed to the kitchen, he found Ann Marie, Xavier, his dad and Vera helping his mom. Erin looked up when Preston walked into the kitchen.

            “Oh honey I wish you would have called, you didn’t have to rush all the way back here to help. I got more than enough help. I know how much Robert needs you right now.”

            “I know, but I’m here anyway. What can I help out with?”

“Um nothing that requires cooking . Sorry honey but I really don’t have the time to redo something you help with.” Everybody laughed but Preston.

            “Ha ha very funny fine if you don’t need my help in here then I guess I can start setting up the extra table and chairs.”

            “Here let me help you,” Xavier said. They walked out to the tool shed to grab the table and chairs. They walked back inside, they worked in silence until Xavier spoke. “How is Robert?” Preston sighed.