Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Preston woke up the next morning in an empty bed; for once he was grateful for that. He sat up in bed; he could hear and smell Robert cooking. He felt a pang in his stomach, for the first time since getting together with Robert he didn't fall asleep in his arms. Once he walked into the apartment last night he went straight to the bathroom. He sat in the bathtub, as he tried to wash away what he did with Joaquin. No amount of soap and water was able to make that go away. He had spent two hours in the tub as he replayed everything in his mind. He cried because he made a mistake, a mistake he can never take back. He betrayed Robert's trust and he was selfish for only thinking of himself lately. By the time he got out of the bathroom, Robert had fallen asleep. Preston had been grateful for that; he had just laid down away from Robert and cried himself to sleep. Now it was morning and he was going to have to face him. He knew his face was covered with shame and guilt. All he could think about was how heartbroken Robert was going to be when he told him. He dragged his feet across the room to get ready.

He walked into the kitchen to found Robert and Ramona eating breakfast. Robert looked and smiled when Preston sat down next to him, Robert past him a plate of food.

"Amor I'm really sorry for not giving you the night I had promised you. Don't worry I will make it up to you somehow." Preston looked at his food as he moved it around his plate, he didn't feel like eating. Sitting there just listening to Robert apologize for something that isn't important. He shouldn't even be the one apologizing, he should be one to. Preston dropped his fork on the plate and looked at Robert.

"Robert don't worry about it, like you said it was part of life. Things aren't always going to go as planned, so don't apologize for something you didn't have control over." Preston picked up his plate and placed it in the sink. He picked up his bag and gave Robert a kiss on the cheek. "I'm leaving and I will see you later." Robert grabbed his hand and pulled him closer to him.

"You're not taking your car to school?"

"No I just feel like walking today."

"Are you sure, I mean that is why I got it for you?"

"Yeah I'm sure, besides I want my first drive in the car to be with you and the twins." Preston smiled weakly at him.

"Ok if you're sure, I will see you later then. I love you amor."

"I love you too," Preston kissed him one more time and walked out of the apartment. Robert watched at Preston walked out of the apartment, he knew something was wrong with Preston. Ever since he came home last night he seemed troubled, a little part of him blamed himself. He felt like he had let him down and he has been doing that a lot lately. He knew he had been pushing him away, because he is getting stressed out from school, the twins and the fact he hasn't heard back from NYU yet. He has heard from all the other schools, but he really has his heart set on NYU because he knew it would make Preston happy if they could move there.

"He really is upset about yesterday, isn't he?" Ramona asked Robert, he sighed deeply as he stared back at his plate.

"I think so, but I also feel like something else is on his mind. Something so bad he feels like he can't tell me."

"You don't think that boy he is working with tried something do you?" it had occurred to Robert, that Joaquin might have done something. However he didn't think he was that dumb.

"I didn't think so; I don't think he is that stupid. At least I'm hoping he isn't that stupid."

"Maybe he is just stressed out about school and I'm pretty sure the twins add more stress as well. What you two need is a trip alone together, I'm pretty sure that is what he misses most. Just you two alone with no one getting in the way." Robert knew she was right, he has missed being alone with Preston. It had been far too long since they had been able to have sex.