Christmas Edition: A Jamaican Christmas

{Keep in mind this is not apart of the story however it's apart of Chantal's memories of her last Christmas back home in Jamaica}

"Merry Christmas mommy!" Chantal greeted her mother.

"Merry Christmas pumpkin!" her mother replied embracing her in one of her tight hugs.

"Mommy! I can't breathe!" However, her mother continued to hug her. In protest she hugged her mother back even tighter.

"Okay!" her mother exclaimed laughing letting her go.

"What are we going to cook for breakfast?" Chantal questioned as they headed to the kitchen.

"Food," her mother replied mischievously.

"Moooommy!"

"Change your clothes then you can come and help me."

Chantal quickly headed to the bathroom and changed into some day clothes then headed back to the kitchen.

When she entered she saw her mother counting out cups of flour into a glass bowl.

"Are you going to make fry dumplings?" Chantal questioned.

"On Christmas morning?" her mother asked raising an eyebrow.

"Yup."

"No. I'm making saltfish fritters but I guess we can make a few dumplings."

At that response Chantal jumped and cheered. Her mother laughed at her antics.

"You know, sometimes I forget that you're an adult. You act so childish sometimes."

"Mommy I'm just eighteen! " Chantal pouted.

"Exactly!"

"Mommy!"

"Take the ripe plantains out of the fridge, cut them up and fry them."

Chantal did just that while her mother made fritters and then proceeded to cut up some pak choi and callalo after telling Chantal to fry everything.

"Mommy can we have chocolate tea?"

"Sure."

"Did you get the chocolate balls at the market?"

"Yes. Look in the section where we put the sweeties and you'll find them. Oh and take out Betty."

Chantal laughed.

"Why are you laughing?"

"You make it sound as if it someone named Betty is inside the fridge. Why don't you just say condensed milk?" Chantal questioned as she took out the items.

"That's what my sister and I used to call it," her mother replied smiling at the memory.

At the end of their preparation they shared the food then sat together to eat after praying over the food.