It's Not Time to Get Up Yet

"What about in those stories where the prince wakes up the princess with a kiss? Maybe you could do that. I mean, you're not a prince and Natsu's not a princess, but it could work, right?"

Lucy gave Happy a small smile. "Never lose hope, buddy. Sometimes it's all we have." She sighed. "And here I was all excited to show Natsu how much stronger I've become. I guess it puts things in perspective," she sighed.

"Are you really stronger, Lucy?" Happy asked,, perking up. "Maybe one of your spirits can wake him up? Crux? No, he sleeps a lot. Horologium? No, he just protects you. Taurus is too creepy....maybe Virgo or Loke?" He looked up at Lucy hopefully.

"Happy," Lucy sighed. "I don't think a kiss or a spirit is going to work. It might just be that Natsu needs time."

"You haven't tried the kiss yet," Happy said, pulling himself from Lucy's arms and flying above her. "You are his mate!"

"Happy," Lucy blushed. "I can try but don't get your hopes up."

She leaned forward and brushed her lips across Natsu's. She could feel his breath on her, but when she pulled away, there was no change. Lucy's eyes filled with tears. For a moment there, she, like Happy, had hoped it might work.

"Oh, Natsu," she whispered. "You couldn't wait one more week. I wanted to show you what I learned, show you my dress," she said, looking down at herself. "It all seems so shallow now."

She stroked his hair, then let her finger trace down over his bandages to his face and down his arm. "Natsu!" she cried, laying her head on his chest. "Just wake up! Come on!" She beat her fist against his chest, her tears falling and soaking his bandages. "Just once, tell me you're all fired up! I love you!" she sobbed.

Her sobs slowed as exhaustion overtook her. She was mentally exhausted - her trip home, being attacked by Erza when she returned to the guild, finding out about Natsu. At least his heartbeat is slow and steady, she thought, trying to find the one positive in this situation.

Her eyelids grew heavy. Lifting up her head to check on Happy seemed like such an effort! Not wanting to leave Natsu, she climbed in the narrow bed with him, snuggling to his side, one leg on the floor to keep from falling off. Happy snuggled on the other side of Natsu, his eyes meeting Lucy's. She reached out a hand across Natsu's chest and he embraced it with his paw. Both lay there, protecting their best friend.

Sometime during the night:

Lucy became aware of a comforting hand resting on her head. "You're going to fall off," a voice whispered, and she felt herself being drawn up on the bed and tucked in the covers. She felt something holding her in place. "Happy," she murmured in her sleep, worried about the exceed also falling off the bed.

"He's okay. He's sleeping at the bottom of the bed in his usual spot," whispered the voice again with a chuckle. "Go back to sleep. It's not time to get up yet."

"Mmmm-hmmm," Lucy murmured, still mostly asleep. She was in that state where you're aware of something happening, but it's hard to fight your way up from exhaustion. "Warm," she murmured as she snuggled closer to whatever the heat source was. She heard another soft chuckle, then sleep claimed her once more.