Chapter 5

SS

Severus walked up the steps to Number 4 Pivet Drive and his mouth twisted into a grimace. Stopping at the top, he scanned the outside of the house. From the looks of it, no one was home. There was no lights or vehicle. Severus grumbled. He still doesn't understand why he had to be the one sent to check on Potter. They're relationship has always been a poor one for the two years they've known each other. The only reason Severus is on this unpleasant trip is because of the boys mother. Sighing in annoyance and defeat, Severus knew he would have to get this over with.

"Alohamora." He heard the satisfying click of the lock and slowly opened the front door. Severus stepped into the small house and looked around. "Lumos." Severus said quietly. Pictures and family photos silently lit into view, covering the walls and hall way. He rolled his eyes at the fat walrus and his son. Glaring whenever 'Tunies face showed up. But Severus couldn't help but notice that Potter wasn't in any of the photos. 'Strange...'

Then suddenly a quiet thump sounded from down the hallway. His head shot towards the hallway, looking down it, silently cursing himself for not noticing the open cupboard door. Severus stalked slowly down the hallway deathly quiet, wand shining the way and ready to attack if needed.

Severus' wand lit up the dark cupboard quickly as he rounded the corner of the cupboard door. The first thing he noticed was a boy hunched up in a lose ball against the wall, blood pooled up around him on the dirty mattress, with his eyes closed. All the color drained from Severus' face as he noticed that the boy was indeed Potter. He just stared until he realized the blood was reaching his boots and panicked.

Quickly but gently, Severus grabbed the boys shoulders and lifted him out of the small, dust-filled cupboard. He scanned the boy for the source of the blood until he saw the boys wrist. Severus froze. 'No... He couldn't have...' Turning the boys wrist over, they became visible. Hundreds of scars, new and old lined both of the boys wrists. The ones bleeding were deep, one on both wrist.

"Potter you idiot!" Severus yelled in fury. He is now feeling the guilt of hating this boy. He had no reason what-so-ever. All because of the bloody father.  He casted a blood-replenishing spell and noticed the bruises that covered the boy. His nose looked as if it was broken and his head looked to have a bloody spot. He just stared until shaking his head. "Episky." He whispers to fix the broken nose. Gently, Severus picked the boy up. It was then he noticed the boy was severely underweight. 'These bloody muggles are going to pay! Starving a child and keeping him in that cupboard, what were they thinking?!' Holding on to the boy tightly, Severus apperated to Hogwarts. Silently thanking merlin that the boy was unconsious, surely he would've thrown up what little food he has in his system.

"Poppy!" Severus bellowed as he ran through the infirmary carefully carrying the limp boy. The women appeared from around the corner with a confused look. "What is it Sev... By the name of Merlin, is that Harry Potter?!" She exclaimed, helping Severus set Harry on a bed. "Yes, I found him at his home, which I use that word loosely, unconscious from blood loss."

The witch carefully grabbed the source of the blood and gasped. "A-are these.." Severus nodded sadly. "Yes, they're self inflicted. And from the looks of it, it's not the first time." Poppy sighed sadly but quickly got to work on running a diagnostic spell. "Severus, would you fetch some  nutrition potions and calming droughts?" Poppy asked as she cleaned the deep cuts, waiting for the diagnostics to finish. The black haired man nodded and rushed around to find the items she had asked for.
____________

Severus sat quietly, watching the witch work, deep in thought at the same time. 'Why hasn't the boy told anyone? Surely I could've.... No, you know he was afraid he would be judged or thought weak of. Besides, the bloody whale most likely threatened him. Those bloody muggles! I'll kill them! No child should endure this.' The man's face twisted into a glare as his gaze went to the floor. A certain witch noticed this. "You know Severus, if I know any better, I would say you've started to care for Harry." She said to him with a kind smile. He just looked up at her.

"Maybe."