8

The next morning, Beca shook Stacie awake. "Stacie..." Beca said loudly. "Stacie!"

Stacie's eyes started to open. "What's up...?" She mumbled.

"Where's Emily?" Beca asked. Her and Chloe were sitting down on Emily's bed, which was empty.

"She spent the night out." Stacie groaned. "She'll be back before long, don't worry."

Stacie's phone buzzed. It was a text from Sabrina.

I'm headed your way with Emily now. She's hung over as fuck. I'll be there in 20 minutes. -Sabrina

Stacie sat up. "Hey guys... I had a thought."

Beca and Chloe turned towards Stacie. "What's up?" Chloe smiled.

"Well I want you guys to hear me out before you two panic, alright?"

The girls nodded.

"So you know how you've been trying- and failing miserably- to make Emily fit to be a team captain?"

"Yeah..." Chloe said, confused.

"Well...last night I took her to a night club and she got wasted. Afterwards, I took her to my house which is no more than 20 minutes from here, and she stayed the night with my sister, who's 16. Me and my sister were talking and I explained to her how innocent and sheltered Emily is. My sister, oddly enough, thought that maybe Emily drinking would be the solution. She thinks that if we take away that innocence from Emily, she'll start to mature faster. She'll be a lot more of a take-charge type of person. You know, if we just rip off the band-aid, maybe she'll gain some confidence in knowing that we aren't holding her back, and she'll open up to more things and be a more independent team captain, and maybe that's just what she needs to control these girls."

"I'm on board with that." Chloe smiled.

"I'm not." Beca shook her head. "And even if I was I'm still pissed that you let her drink again, especially without telling me."

"But Beca, maybe Stacie's right." Chloe said to the smaller girl.

Beca rolled her eyes. "Think about it, Chloe, every time that Emily's drunk, she's not just drunk; she's wasted. Do you really think it's a good idea to encourage an underage girl who doesn't know what she's doing to drink?"

Chloe bit her lip. "Alright, so maybe we don't encourage drinking. But I do think Stacie's on the right track. If we take away Emily's innocence, we open up doors for building her confidence as a team leader."

There was a long pause, before Beca broke the silence. "No, dude. I'm sorry but we're not gonna change who this girl is in order to make her who we want her to be. That's just twisted."

Another long silence, this time broken by Chloe. "She's right. Emily's innocence is what makes her Emily."

Stacie groaned. "Fine. Oh yeah, by the way, my sister's on her way over here with Emily."

"That's great." Beca smirked.

"No yelling when she gets here." Chloe instructed. "We don't need another fiasco like last time."

"Don't worry." Beca smirked. "I'm planning on getting her back today during leadership training."

Stacie looked like she was going to say something before deciding not to.

"Hey, Stace, why did Emily want to drink last night?" Beca asked.

Stacie thought for a second. "You know, it really isn't my place to tell. Even if it was, she didn't really go into much detail. What I will say is that something was seriously wrong."

Suddenly the girls heard the front door open, and about a minute later Emily and Sabrina walked in.

Stacie smiled. "Guys, this is my younger sister Sabrina. Sabrina, this is Beca and Chloe."

"Hey guys." Sabrina smiled. The Bellas greeted her.

"Morning you guys." Emily smiled.

"Morning, Em." Beca smiled.

"Hey, Legacy." Chloe greeted Emily.

"Hey, Emily, we probably need to get to work." Beca told the younger girl, who nodded in response.

Beca led Emily across campus to the track, with Chloe not far behind.

"Alright, Em. How many drinks did you have last night?" Beca asked the girl.

Emily paused. "...you knew?"

"Of course." Beca rolled her eyes. "You can't get anything past me, Legacy."

There was a short silence.

"5." Emily said.

"Alright, 5 laps around the track. After each lap I want you to stop and do 5 pushups, 5 sit ups, 5 jumping jacks and 5 burpees. Simple enough?"

Emily sighed but nodded before taking off and doing as she was instructed. She finished in about 20 minutes.

Out of breath, and having puked from dehydration, the younger girl looked up at Beca. "You're not mad?"

Beca shook her head. "We won't always be around anymore. What you do is up to you. As long as it doesn't get too serious, I won't get in the way anymore. You're growing up and I can't always keep you from doing those kinds of things."

Emily nodded.

Beca sighed. "Will you tell me why?"

Emily bit her lip. "Well, I was stressed out about becoming a good leader." She lied.

Chloe raised an eyebrow. "Em, are you serious?"

No. "Yes."

Correction; it was partially true. Emily was stressed about that, and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Still, though, it was only one straw.

Chloe's expression dropped. She put an arm around the younger girl. "I'm sorry we've been putting so much pressure on you."

Emily, thinking she had gotten away with a lie for the first time since...for the first time, smiled. "It's alright, Chloe. I know you just want the best for the Bellas."

Chloe believed Emily. Beca, on the other hand, well...not so much. Beca always knew when Emily was lying. Emily had these little tics that gave it away; her left hand and right thigh would twitch, she got all sweaty, and her voice went high. But Beca decided to let it be for the time being.

A few hours later Emily was sitting on her bed in her and Stacie's room. Emily was just looking around quietly. Suddenly Stacie swung the door open. "Hey Em, you wanna go shopping?"

Emily just shook her head.

"Em?" Stacie said with a look of concern other face. She pulled the younger girl off of the bed so she was standing up. Emily tried to avoid looking at Stacie. Stacie used one hand to hold Emily's shoulder to make sure she stood still, and used the other to turn Emily's chin and hold it firmly so that Emily had to face her. Stacie noticed the tears in Emily's eyes. "What happened? Did you take your pill?" Stacie asked Emily.

Emily just nodded and said nothing in response.

Stacie grabbed Emily and hugged her. Tears started to fall from Emily's eyes.

Stacie noticed Emily's grip was tighter than normal. What she didn't notice was Beca and Chloe standing in the doorway.