1 - Greetings

"Yes Master" You say as you take his hand and follow him along with a dozen other students like you. He lets go of your hand and leads you to a large ship where you and the others were led to a room. The others spread out, some gather in pairs and begin talking. Master Luke leaves the room with a smile that you kindly return and watch as he shuts the door behind him leaving you with a bunch or kids you don't know and who you're going to be stuck with for who knows how long. You walk to the one small window in the room and pull yourself up onto the window sill and stare at the ground as the ship takes off. You suddenly feel a wave of loneliness wash over you as you watch the only home you had ever known fall out of view. You pull your knees up to your chest and wrap your arms around them as you watch the stars fly past. As the ship prepares for light-speed, you hop down from the window and as you feet meet the ground you see another pair of feet parallel to yours. You look up and see a young boy standing in front of you. He was a few inches taller than you with flowing black hair and soft brown eyes. There was something threatening but inviting about his appearance. He looked about a year older than you, probably about 13 or so. When your eyes met his, you noticed the speck of gold and green. Realizing you had been staring at him, you quickly dart you eyes to the ground, blushing.

"You were blocking the window." He spoke, his voice assertive yet kind.

"Sorry, I was um just..." You stutter, refusing to meet his eyes. You've always been socially awkward and never really understood talking and the science of verbal communication. You've always been more of a body language person. Instead of replying he simply walked up to the window and watched as the galaxies flew by. You went to walk away but you were stopped by his voice.

"Not much of a talker, huh?" He says looking back at you. You shrug and join him by the window. You stand there in silence for a few minutes, quietly listening to the small talk of the other students.

"Was that your home?" He asks looking down at you. You just nod and continue staring of into the distance.

"It was mine too." He smiles, clearly hoping that you would return it but instead you shift your gaze to floor. You can feel his smile fall and watch as he sticks his hand out to you.

"I'm Ben. Ben Solo." He states. You grab his hand and finally meet his eyes.

"Y/F/N." You reply smiling a huge grin. You watch and amusement flashes across his eyes as his smile mirrors yours.

"Y/N, I like that." He chirps, his smile growing. He releases your hand from his grip and walks over to a corner where there's a table with a few chairs, you sit down and begin conversation.

"My dad's always off smuggling something in some other universe and my mom is always off leading the resistance or something. I mostly just stayed at home, that was until Uncle Luke offered to teach me. Of course my parents didn't object, I wasn't doing anything other than staying at home. Then we'll, you know the rest." He finished, looking back up at you from his hands. You smile, feeling honoured that he trusted you. He trusted you enough to tell you about his parents and his feelings. You look deep into his eyes and study the specks of green and gold. They seem to shine the more you look at them.

"What about you?" He asks, breaking you from your trance.

"I...uh. I'm not nearly as interesting as you." You reply sheepishly. The thought of your parents made you shutter. Well the thought of your mother did.

"Cmon, you can't be that boring. Give me a summary then, you don't need to go into detail." He smiles, getting more comfortable talking to you.

"Well, I uh. My parents are pretty much nobody, not war heroes like yours. My dad works at the local market rebuilding and selling droids and parts. My mom, well she just stays at home with my little brother, Baze. He's only three but he's my mothers favourite. He's a spoiled brat and would always pick fights with me. No matter the circumstances, my mother would always favour him and he would always get whatever he wanted. My mother took what little money my dad made and spend on stupid shit for my brother." You feel yourself get angry at the mention of your mother mistreating your dad. You quickly calm down as to not scare Ben, your only friend. "My dad was the best though. He taught me all sorts of stuff about droids and I was working on my own when Luke came to get me. I was nearly finished too. I don't know if I'll ever get to finish it." You conclude, happy with the lie you just made up. Well half of it was true. The part about your dad being the best and your brother being a brat. But the big lie was your mother. Instead of staying home and watching Baze or cooking or taking care of you, she was out sleeping with everyone in the damned town. She was never home and when she was, she spent it with Baze teaching him to be a spoiled brat to get what he wants. Just like her. That's what she did to your dad. She made him fall in love with her and had him wrapped around her finger. She got him to marry her and then have you. As soon as you were old enough not to need her, she threw you into your dads care and went off to town. She started sleeping with a few people here and there and dad didn't find out until she was pregnant with Baze. He demanded a divorce but she threatened to hurt you and ruin his business if he did. So he was forced to keep working his ass off while she was off throwing money around and sleeping with everyone in the town. She must have like maybe ten children now throughout the town. Without you included. And every time she did the same thing, once the baby was no longer needing a mother, she left it with the father and never returned. Your dad worked hard day and night just to keep her happy and you safe and in the midst of it all, he still found time to spend with you. In that little time, he taught you everything he knew from droids to old Jedi stories. You didn't think the Jedi were anything but a myth until Master Luke came to your door today and offered you a place in his Jedi academy. And here you are. Forever hating your mother and despising your brother. Well step-brother. You've never met any of your other step-siblings. Baze is the only one that lives with you because the dad died. You felt a lump in your throat rise and tears form in your eyes as you thought of the life you had. You force the lump down and shake the tears from your vision. You have a new life now. A new life  with Ben and Master Luke and all the other students. This was your much needed fresh start.

Ben just stared at you in astonishment, no particular emotion on his face. He had a way of showing his emotions, not through facial expression but his eyes. Your dad was the same way. His eyes showed surprise and confusion. He was obviously trying to process all the information you threw at him, because let's face it, that was a whole life story let  alone a quick summary without details. You begin to feel tense and scared that maybe you pushed him away. Maybe he won't be your friend and that you'll go back to being alone. As if sensing your fear he quickly perks up and smiles half-heartedly.

"Wow, I mean. I," He starts and you prepare to face one of the biggest rejections in your life. "I just wasn't expecting that. There's a lot more to you than what meets the eye." He jokes, and you feel relieved. You feel all the muscles inside you body relax from what was possibly the most stressful moment of your life. Then a new feeling washes over you. A mixture of relief and happiness. It felt so good to let that painful story off your shoulders. Well, half of the painful story.

"Yeah...uh sorry. In case you haven't realized yet I'm not very good at this whole social interaction thing." You squeak, trying to put some humour into the situation. Surprisingly it works and instead of Ben's usual comforting smile you are met with a lovely sound. He starts to laugh. His laugh is very low in comparison to his voice but it's sweet at the same time. You join in and suddenly realize how weird your laugh is. You quickly stop laughing and smile.

"Really, I never thought someone as-..." Ben was cut off by the sound of the ship landing. Both your eyes drift to the window which is now crowded with students. Moments later Master Luke appears in the doorway.

"Welcome to my Jedi Academy." He says kindly and beckons his students to follow him. They all follow quickly, stumbling over each other to get a better look at this new planet. You and Ben follow quietly occasionally exchanging glances but mostly focusing on the new surroundings. You feel your jaw drop once you get off the ship when you get a good look. You glance at Ben to see his mouth partly open too. Never in you life did you think that you would have ended up here, of all places...

Author's Note

Hey lovezzzz!! So surprise, I decided to do an x reader. I thought long and hard about this and finally decided that and x reader would be best for this book. If I did Reylo it would probably just have picked up where TLJ left off and I really hate stories where you get like no character development, it takes away the atmosphere for me anyways. So this is the story that I came up with during my 6 hour nap today. With x reader I just feel like there's just way more opportunities for character development and just I case you haven't figured it out yet character development is very very important to me so yeah. I hope you all enjoy this story and are not like mad at me for not doing Reylo. Thank you so much for reading and as always I will see you all in the next chapter!