8 - Movement

You tighten your grip around your lightsaber and stick out to your side, mirroring Luke when he started the movement. You brought the lighsaber about your head slowly as you swung it and brought it down across your front. A strange force pulls down on with you as you strike. Scared that you will lose control and resist the pull. With each movement the sabre seems to whirr louder, becomes more alive, and with every move the pull becomes stronger. You continue to resist it, feeling your arms tire from the strain. You bring the lightsaber up to your eye level and focus on the navy glow. You close your eyes and swing the sabre down across your front again in one direction and then again it the other. The sabre now pulses in you hands and you feel it start to sync with your heart beat. As you take a step back to spin for the finally movement, you bring your saber above your head and you can't resist anymore. You stop resisting and to your surprise, instead of taking over entirely your sabre guides you. Instead of controlling your movements, your lightsaber leads you. And as opposed to thinking through this last movement part by part, with the guidance of your sabre you finish it in one motion. You spin on your heels as you twirl the sabre above your head before you bring it down in one stroke. Halfway through the stroke you release with your supporting hand so the sabre goes back to your side, ready to begin the sequence again.

You are schocked by your own actions. How did I do that, you think to yourself glancing down at your lightsaber, pulsing harder than ever. You look to Ben and see that Luke is just finishing up giving Ben advice. That means that you only have a few more minutes to practise before Luke comes over to you. You swallow hard and feel your heart beat quicken, making the pulsing of your lightsaber speed up too.

You get into your stance, preparing to start the sequence again. You decide you will not resist the pull of your lightsaber and trust it. You begin slow as you bring the weapon above your head and stroke down but as you continue through the sequence, you feel yourself get faster. You are still in complete control but the pull is making the movements faster, giving you less time to doubt yourself. You feel the anxiety rise again but you push it back down, and trust your lightsaber. You finish the sequence perfectly as Master Luke walks over to you.

"Have you figured out the sequence?" He says looking at your stance, then realizing that you already have.

"Well, show me what you've got." He says and stands back. You feel Ben's eyes on you as you return to your starting stance. As you close your eyes, focusing on the pulse of your sabre and the whirr of it's existence, you also feel the eyes of every student on you. You take a deep breath before opening your eyes again.

You go through the sequence with little to no flaws. Letting your sabre guide you, you deliver a perfect strike every time. As you finish the end of your sequence you realize how fast you were going. It felt as though you were going the speed Luke taught you to aim for but what it really was you didn't know. You bring your lightsaber down in front of you as the final stroke, realest your supporting hand and letting your sabre fall to your side. You look up, breathing hard with rosy cheeks at a shocked audience. All the students had shock and awe written on their faces and you smirked a little at the thought of the people who teased you now stood in awe of you. You looked to Ben whose jaw was almost on the floor and his eyes wide. He meets your eyes and smiles, but it isn't his reassuring smile, it's like he's almost scared. Puzzled, you look to Master Luke who looks proud. Slightly shocked, but proud.

"Well done." He says, breaking the silence glaring at the students behind him and they all hurry back to look busy.

"So when have you been practising?" He says, clearly thinking you've done this before.

"This is my first time, Master. I only ever held a lightsaber for the first time this morning." You answer, confused.

"Please Y/N, this is not the time for jokes. You must tell me, it's crucial to your training." He says, seriously looking sternly into your eyes.

"I'm being honest Master, I swear. Ask Ben." You say, pointing to Ben who was pulled from his trance by his name. Luke looks to Ben who just nods supportively.

"But how then. Out of all my years of being a Jedi, I've never seen anyone complete that sequence with that speed on their first try." He says, clearly puzzled and trying hard to analyze the situation.

"I don't know. Although, when I was younger I did have this wooden sword that I used to play with my brother. That's the only other time I've every held or used a weapon." You say, thinking back to your past. You thought of your brother and you imideatly shiver.

"This is interesting. Are you aware of what you just did?" Master Luke says, seeing your discomfort regarding your last and changing the subject. You shake your head, scared to see what will happen next.

"Well let me show you." He says signalling for your so back up. Master Luke begins the sequence normally at a relatively normal speed, not the really fast speed but faster than the other students. Then, halfway through the second motion he twirls the lightsaber around his wrist and finishes the entire sequence so fast you barely saw him move. Confused and scared, you look down at your lightsaber which was still on and whirring with life. The pulsing becomes quicker meaning your heartbeat did too. No wonder everyone was scared of you, hell even your best friend was a scared for a second. Or maybe he still is scared of you.

"You see, that amount of movement with that amount of speed is very challenging especially for a new padawan. But with al that and the precision that you had, that is unheard of." Luke starts, taking a step towards you.

"I understand, Master. I'll be sure to be more careful next time and slow down." You say bowing your head in regret. You shouldn't've trusted your lightsaber in the first place. Master Luke puts a hand on your shoulder causing you to look up at him.

"No, no, no. You misunderstood me Y/N. I am just surprised and most importantly intrigued. You have a lot of potential that I would like to see put to use and as your master it is my job to make sure that you are on the right path to achieving your full potential. But in order to do that I feel I must learn more about your past. I think we need to talk." He says in a kind voice. You nod, deactivating your lightsaber and put it back on your belt.

"Training for the day is over. Go back to the Academy and use this time to practise the sequence that I just taught you. Dinner with be served in a few hours." He says leading you back down the mountain.

You hear several lightsabers deactivate, a few sighs, a groan and someone call out your name. You look back and see Ben who just moments ago called your name and reached out to you. You look back at him, and smile. You try to recreate his reassuring smile to tell him it will be ok. It works because you see him smile back before you are forced to look back in front of you and the long evening that awaits.