7 - Training

"Alright, let's begin." Master Luke says and you can feel the excitement in the space increase.

"Spread out, make sure you are at least 6 feet from anybody around you." He orders and the students pan out across the platform. You and Ben go to the edge and make sure to stay at enough away from each other.

"Now take out your lightsabers, and ignite them...carefully." He adds for the sake of the one child who whips it out and takes no caution what so ever. You place your hand on the hilt of your saber feeling the energy coarse through you and into your weapon. You remove it from your belt and hold it out in front of you. You activate it and the saber whirs to life. Yet again, it feels so familiar in your hand even though you've only held it twice before. You decide not to try anything with it for fear that what happened in your hut would happen again. You look over at Ben who careful lights his saber and holds it out like you do. He gives you a reassuring smile before focusing on his lightsaber again.

"Good. Now today I'm going to teach you basic movements. I will demonstrate them and tell you what you must do to achieve the movement, but it is up to you to practise it. That goes with anything I teach you. Whenever you are not sleeping, eating or training with me, go and practise. You can train with a friend or by yourself, but you will not become a Jedi if you sit through my lessons and don't follow through. Are we clear?" He finishes, raising one eyebrow. Everyone nods, too anxious to dare arguing.

"Ok, now I cannot express how important it is that you be careful with your lightsabers. These will hurt you or anyone else and potentially kill someone. It is not my responsibility to make sure you don't kill anyone, I am here to teach and to guide, your choices are yours and yours alone." He says, changing from safety precautions to life advice awkwardly.

"Now that that is out of the way, let us begin." He concludes as he swiftly pulls out his lightsaber and ignited it all in one motion. Somehow he didn't but a hole in his cloak or injure himself. You stand there in awe watching as Luke goes through a series of basic movements.

Master Luke does a sequence of slow movements. Starting with his saber to straight out to the side standing shoulder width apart, he slowly brings the saber above his head, swings it once to create momentum and then brings it down in front of his across his shoulder. He then brings the saber up to his eye level where he holds it flat across his face, he brings his other hand up to steady it before slashing down in front of him again across his front and again the other way. Luke then steps back as he spins bringing the saber above his head with both hands. As he spins out of his twirl he brings the lightsaber down in front of him and lets go with his supporting hand and letting his guiding hand go out to the side with his saber in hand. He was now where he was at the beginning of the sequence. He repeats the sequence over and over again, getting faster every time he does it until he is going so fast it looks like it's all one motion, like a sort of dance.

Once he finishes the sequence at normal speed, which just happens to be light speed, he scans through his students looking deep into their eyes. He notices the looks of confusion and awe and he begins again, really slow. Showing every movement, every twist and turn. Some students try and do it with him, mirroring him. They all struggle, even with him going slow. Good luck doing it at normal speed, you think to yourself, quietly laughing. But then you realize that they are doing better than you are, or at least they are trying to learn. Instead of learning or practising you are just standing there, lightsaber hanging by your side, in awe of Master Luke.

Luke finishes the sequence at the slow speed and does it again at normal speed. But this time, it doesn't look fast to you. It almost looks like he's in slow motion, you look closely and see every movement and turn that you were struggling to see before. Suddenly it seems to click and instead of fear and anxiety you feel confident. You tighten your grasp on the hilt of your lightsaber and bring it up to your side, holding it out firmly. Just  as you were about to try the sequence, Master Luke speaks.

"That is the first sequence of movements that I will be teaching you. I expect that you have all got the basic idea and you should all start practising. I will come around one by one and make sure you are on the right track." He says, deactivating his lightsaber and putting it back on his belt. Suddenly your knees begin to feel weak and your breath catches slightly. The thought of Master Luke standing beside you, watching and studying you and only you with your lightsaber that just earlier today almost killed you just made you feel terribly anxious. You look to Ben once again looking for some reassurance or anything to ease the anxiety that was eating away at your insides. He looks back at you and as if realizing your struggle rushes over to you. He deactivated his lightsaber on his way over. He puts his hand on your back to steady you, clearly worried you might faint.

"Are you ok?" He asks with concern on his face.

"Yeah it just, what if I mess up in front of Master Luke, then the other kids will see me. They already think that I'm weird because of my lightsaber." You say holding onto your lightsaber even tighter. Ben gives you another reassuring smile before he says,

"Don't worry. If you are really that worried about messing up, I'll mess up with you." He says kindly. You realize that no matter the situation, Ben will always be able to calm you down with that smile. That smile that says it's going to be ok, even though it might not be.

"Thanks." You say, taking a step forward and watching as he walks back to his place to start practising.

You watch as Ben goes through the movements, almost as if he already knew them. Hell, he probably already did. But he moved with such grace, so smoothly that he didn't even look like he was trying. He was still doing it slowly, nowhere near Master Lukes final speed but still fast compared to the rest of the students. You looked over at Luke who was showing the sequence to a struggling student and then back at Ben and saw the similarities in their movements. The way they spun in the final movement and the way they held their head, it was almost identical.

You shake yourself from your trance and prepare to practise as Master Luke walks over to Ben, carefully watching him. You feel your heart quicken as you tighten your grip around the hilt of your navy weapon and begin the first movement.