19 - The Meeting

When you finally reached the Jedi temple, your stomach had twisted itself into knots. The walk from Ben's hut was long anough for anxiety to pool in your gut, leaving you feeling very uneasy. As you climbed the stairs to the temple, your hands started to tremble at your sides. 

Ben glanced down at your hands and grabbed one gently, as you reached the top of the stairs.

"Remeber what I said," he reassured, looking down at you with a smile on his lips. Unable to speak from the uneasiness growing in your gut, you just nodded in thanks and stepped into the temple.

Walking through the main lobby and through the halls of the temple, you felt your heart pounding in your chest. The unsteady beat in your ears getting louder and louder as you neared Luke's meeting room. 

You and Ben walked in silence until you reached the entrance to the room, where you could hear Luke shuffling around. You both looked at each other for a moment before steeping into the room.

"Ah, there you are. Glad to see you can arrive on time when you decide it matters. Are my classes really that boring to you, Y/N?" He chided, questioning you. Before you were able to answer or asses that fact that he hadn't even acknowledged Ben's presence, he motioned for you to sit. Ben gave you a worried look as you both walked to the two chairs infront of his desk, and sat down. 

Luke's desk was a mess, papers and books scattered all over the surface. Writing materials were scattered throughout the mess and you noted the messy scribbles on some random papers. 

"Now, Y/N, care to explain your tardiness and behavior this morning?" He asked, intertwining his fingers together and resting them on his stomach as he stared at you. Shocked by the bluntness of the question, you found yourself unable to form words. How were you going to answer this question? You couldn't blame your tardiness on Ben, it wasn't his job to be your personal alarm and you doubted Luke would care for that excuse. But you couldn't think of any other reason why you had missed the beginning of class. 

"I uh, I slept in," you managed to force out, a wave of relief washed over you as you came up with an excuse. 

"Sleep hasn't been an issue in the past. We've had much earlier classes before and you had no trouble arriving on time for those. Tell me, did you really sleep in, or have you now deemed my classes not worth the effort of arriving on time?" he said knowingly, causing you to fidget with your hands. 

"I was up late last night," you insisted, not daring to look away from him. Not when his eyes narrowed and he said,

"Liar." The words were a shock to you, the anxiety in your guts worsening with every second. You truly had no idea how to respond, so you sat in silence, drawing your eyes from his and aiming them at the ground. You heard Ben shift in his chair beside you, letting you know he was there.

"Don't think I don't see what you two are doing outside of class," Luke continued, finally bringing Ben into the conversation. The two of you just looked at each other and swallowed, hard. 

"Though I may not condone your meddling around with infamous Jedi moves, I will admit I am impressed." You and Ben both released a breath you didn't know you were holding as Luke finished his sentence. Neither of you knowing how to respond, you both stayed silent as Luke looked you both over.

"It took me months of practising to master that move Y/N. Even now, I try to avoid using it in battles as I've come too close to losing my arm one too many times. How long have you been working on that move, one week?" Still at a loss for words, you just nodded as your response before Luke started talking again.

"And you Ben, where did you see those combinations? Do you have a tablet in your hut that you are using to learn? As impressed as I am, I'm going to have to ask you to bring the tablet to me as it goes against Academy rules." Luke's words were ringing in your ears as you couldn't believe what he was saying. He was prasing you, not scolding you. See, you thought to yourself, I've nothing to worry about. Luke was staring intensely at Ben and you followed his eyes to watch Ben respond.

"I...came up with them by myself," he paused, "and with Y/N's help. We've been working on our own sequences out of class." He looked from the ground, to Luke, to you and then back to Luke.

"Well then. I suppose I should give you some more challenging work then, if you are now coming up with your own curriculum," Luke continued. You felt the beginning of a smile start to spread across your face until Luke added, "Though I'm not sure if I should, considering you disrupted my teaching and walked out in the middle of my class." His face went serious as his gazed narrowed on you, and you had to fight your instincts to look away. Just as you were about to comment, no doubt to stutter through an apology, Ben spoke up.

"It was my idea. You see, Master Luke, we had planned on staying in your class this morning but I convinced Y/N to leave class early to we could go to the lake. Had it not been for me, Y/N would have stayed in class and there would have been no distruptions. My apologies, Master." You froze at his words, looking from Luke to Ben as he finished. Luke seemed to notice your shocked expression and raised his eyebrows at you. Ben shot you a look that said, play along. You quickly altered your face to hide your surprise and looked back at Luke. He seemed to buy it, and both you and Ben sighed.

"Very well. You two are free to leave this room, on one condition." Luke declared, causing you to feel uneasy again. What was he going to demand? Please don't be anything bad, you prayed in your head.

"No more showing off in my classes. And no more ditching half-way through," he finally said, much to you and Ben's relief. This you could manage, this was reasonable, if you were in his situation you would have demanded the same thing. 

"Yes Master," you and Ben said in unison and stood up from your chairs. You bowed your head to Luke and turned to leave the room, glad for the meeting to be over, when Luke's voice stopped you again.

"And," he paused, "if you would like some additional lessons on the side, I would be more than happy to teach you two. You're both smart enough to realize that these lessons wouldn't be something to brag about to other students, I trust?" You and Ben both turned back to him with wide grins on your faces and uttered a quick, "Yes Master." With a flick of his wrist, he dismissed you both with a small smile on his face.

You two were out of the room seconds later, linked arm in arm.

"Glad that's over," you said giddily, looking up at Ben to find him mirroring the smile you had plastered on your face.

"Me too," he answered and you laughed a little. 

You were both to relieved with the outcome of the meeting for either of you to notice a very irritated Irsha Dal standing just around the corner from the room where you just were, having over-heard the entire encounter.